Moving bees in other countries.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok so as far as I'm aware, if you move a hive in this country, but watched this week, shipping wars, (USA) and outback truckers (Australia) and both haulage company and bee farmer moved hundreds of hives, and they were all open and bees flying. Does anyone know why they would do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I worked in Aus we moved with them all open, once on the move they don't really fly out. Only moved at night of course but I'm not sure if its just the movement or vibration but they don't really leave they may just beard outside. Not much ventilation in the hives there and blocking up entrances will take up valuable loading and moving time.

Ok so as far as I'm aware, if you move a hive in this country, but watched this week, shipping wars, (USA) and outback truckers (Australia) and both haulage company and bee farmer moved hundreds of hives, and they were all open and bees flying. Does anyone know why they would do this.

To save time (time is money).
An awful lot of US commercial hives still have solid floors (and thus little ventilation).

Don't make the mistake of thinking that you can learn how to care for your bees better by learning from US commercial beekeeping practices …

Some commercial beekeepers don't block them in when loading and moving them to different crops in this country.

I collected a swarm a few weeks ago which had been dropped into a council recycling bin (with ventilation holes punched in the sides) it was effectively sealed, but there were 40 or so loose bees flying around the box and they travelled in the back of my van still flying round. Odd ones came to the front which I let out of the window, but most of them arrived at their new destination.

Frisbee

I have had entrances come open while moving before. It's hard to say if you loose many bees but they usually as suggested before just beard on the front of the hive.

Latest posts

Back