Moving a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearhouse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all. I am continuing my pre-bee research before making the commitment to keeping bees. I will try and explain my question by adding a bit of info, hopefully not too much of a waffle...

Hubby and I are in the very fortunate position of having a new garden, so we have been able to start planning the planting aspect (which will help bees even if ultimately we decide not to keep bees IYSWIM).

Near the area which would house the hive(s), there are a couple of trees which will need to come down at some point, on the advice of a tree surgeon. We have a long run of elm trees down one side of the garden, and he needs to be able to take out trees to selectively in order to manage the hedgerow and keep dutch elm disease at bay. This needs to be done in the autumn.

My question is, can hives be moved on a temporary basis, for say a day? I don't know that the tree surgeon would want to be working 10-15 feet away from a hive, and we wouldn't want a hive to be potentially damaged by falling tree debris or annoyed by work in such close proximity. We would be looking at moving them about 150-200 feet away from their usual position, and as I said, during the autumn.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all. I am continuing my pre-bee research before making the commitment to keeping bees. I will try and explain my question by adding a bit of info, hopefully not too much of a waffle...

Hubby and I are in the very fortunate position of having a new garden, so we have been able to start planning the planting aspect (which will help bees even if ultimately we decide not to keep bees IYSWIM).

Near the area which would house the hive(s), there are a couple of trees which will need to come down at some point, on the advice of a tree surgeon. We have a long run of elm trees down one side of the garden, and he needs to be able to take out trees to selectively in order to manage the hedgerow and keep dutch elm disease at bay. This needs to be done in the autumn.

My question is, can hives be moved on a temporary basis, for say a day? I don't know that the tree surgeon would want to be working 10-15 feet away from a hive, and we wouldn't want a hive to be potentially damaged by falling tree debris or annoyed by work in such close proximity. We would be looking at moving them about 150-200 feet away from their usual position, and as I said, during the autumn.

Thanks in advance.

Instead of moving them you can close the entrance up for a day. Inside the hive you would need a sponge soaked in water for them to use to stop them overheating. Sponge on top of the frames eke and topped with crownboard

Instead of moving them you can close the entrance up for a day. Inside the hive you would need a sponge soaked in water for them to use to stop them overheating. Sponge on top of the frames eke and topped with crownboard

Oh that's encouraging, thanks. Since he's planning on chopping trees every year, not having to move hives would be preferable.

If you are not using OMFs and are closing the entrance I would suggest using a screen board in place of the crown board as bees need air to breath and ventilation to prevent overheating . I would also raise the roof to allow some air flow. If sunny then place patio parasol in a suitable position to give the hive some shade.

Thanks, and good point. From what I have read so far OMF is a good thing to have so will probably have those, but the hive position will be dappled shade.

If there is a risk of anything falling on them they will need to be moved. Better to shut them in and move while the job is done.

If they were my bees in my garden I think I would make sure they have adequate ventilation and close them in early morning, or second choice the night before, covering the holes in the top board with mesh and making sure the lid vents are clear or lifting the lid slightly and shading them in their temporary position of safety until the job is done.

Hive move

I was in the same position last year I was advised by the tree surgeon Ionly had to move the hive from under the tree canopy. I did this 3 meters a day at night this was in April I had no problems when the trees where being worked on the bees just got on with what they do.

Good luck

Thank you.

Will certainly consult tree surgeon too, he's bound to have experience of working near bees.

Thank you.

Will certainly consult tree surgeon too, he's bound to have experience of working near bees.

:welcome:To the forum.

Don't bank on prior knowledge but you are going about keeping bees in the "right" way. Think ahead, ask and plan, things WILL still go t**s up but you are slightly ahead of the game.

Good luck with your bees when you get them. Keep asking questions, the forum likes nothing more than talking bees AND helping new 'beeks'

If you have the tree work done in Autumn, and start with the bees in Spring, you won't have a problem. :)

True, but we have been advised to have trees down every autumn in order to manage the hedgerow. Apparently they are prone to Dutch elm disease once they reach a certain height.

To be fair, I don't know if I mentioned that it was going to be a regular thing :)

Any vibrating equipment ( in the nicest possible meaning) may stir the bees up. Suggest you find a site far enough away from the felling area. I had a few trees down over five days and had to move the closed hives into the shade in the garage and regularly spray with water. Move them back again for a quick fly round in the evening. Became a real chore. They are Heavy!
E

Back