Moving a hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hitchiner

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I need to move a hive to a new site, by (hatchback) car. August seems to be the worst time to do it as the hive will be its heaviest, and the move seems to have to be done at night, when the bees are asleep in in the hive, after 10.00pm.
The hive will be too heavy to move as a whole, so I am thinking of splitting it up into Brood super and the Honey super. Any tips in keeping the bees, disturbed and angry, from being woken up, in their hive, and not in the car? I plan to put the split hive in a cardboard box, seal it up, and drive, smoker at the ready.
Worried and nervous.:calmdown:

dont be mad
get ratchet straps and strap the whole thing together, block up the entrance
get someone to help carry it to car and position it so frames are in same direction as length of car, take the friend with you to help at other end
bees don't sleep as such

Totally agree..:iagree::iagree:

Disturb bees at night and you will see just how NOT asleep they are.:hairpull: Masses of work done at night.. the noise from a hive isn't them snoring!
Block entrance about 10pm, hoping they are not out bearding...I use wet grass and then wide sealing tape about 3 times round. Strap down. As said frames from front to back ( parallel to side of car so any sudden braking doesn't crush them). Move very early next morning before it gets warm.
Two can carry it, keeping hive as level as pos.
When on new site, give them 10 minutes to settle then release .. and stand clear!
When hive in car you can cover with a sheet to keep any escapee bees from circumnavigating the car

Last edited:
If it is too heavy then during the day make it into two hives using a spare floor and a spare roof even if you are using only supers. Most of the flyers will return to the brood. That night seal both hives and move them, combine them again at the other end!
That is just another possibility but if possible try and move as one
E

As above, strap them up.. seal entrance, move at leisure..

I only have 1 arm and i have no issues with this method. I collect swarms, rehome them in nuks at my home for a while, then transfer to full size hives, shortly after i move on to farms... i'm ready to do my 9th next week.

Strap up carefully whilst on any inspection, (preferably the last 1 before moving) seal entrance as late as you can in the evening...

An old friend/mentor suggests when moving hives in a vehicle to put on back seat, not in the boot/hatch, due to exhaust emmisions... but i presume his transport was a morris minor with no rubber door seals....:icon_204-2: many moons ago.

Last edited:
if closed up for any length of time in the car, make sure you have a ventilation screen on the top to prevent overheating, otherwise you will have a mess of melted wax at the other end.

Agree with previous advisory posts.

Moving a hive a few hundred yards tonight, hence this thread caught my attention, as previously suggested earlier in the thread I'll strap it, seal the entrance and carry it on a purpose made pole stretcher.
The new location is prepared so it is simply a case of position the hive, pile some foliage at the entrance and release the bees.

If moving only a short distance....when you have situated the hive in the new location and before unblocking the entrance, partially block the entrance with leaves / twigs / grass and suchlike, so the bees can get out BUT need to climb through it.
It will force them to reorientate.

Using the above, have moved several nucs and hives short distances (between the 3ft 3 mile rule) and they reorient quickly and do not return to the original location.

Bees do not sleep, they need to be treated with care and respect throughout the whole process.

Different things work for different folks, have found that getting the hive in the new location just prior to sunset also discourages the little darlings from wandering too far until sunrise the next day.
It does seem to reduce the upset of moving the colony.

If moving hives any distance I tend to use a trailer, if putting a hive inside a car on the back seat I would advise buying or acquiring old, net curtain to wrap loosely around the hive (Just a thought).

Hope that helps.

When in my first year beeking I had to do just what you are doing trust me they do not sleep and they do not like the intrusion. definitely ratchet strap together, would suggest you split late evening when most are in and so some up in supers. I did a 10 mile move if you don't have ventilated boards, try stretching nylon tights over queen excluder, worked a treat for me. would also recommend you wear your suit during the move in case any escape. I collected a nuc early from a site a week or so ago, 5am they were already flying so its up to you late night move after they have settled or early start!

As per milkermel: how many supers are on the hive currently? Are any supers ready to extract? If so, you can reduce the overall weight of the hive by clearing ripe supers and then removing them from the hive.

Latest posts

Back