moving a hive verticaly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
3 weeks ago I had a swarm enter a hive, two days later it rained solid for 48 hours and I decided to feed
went in to my shed (it has a grill door and is only about 6 foot high) for a feeder bucket and felt something on my head. looked up and 3" from my face was a small swarm on the roof
it would just about fill a half football.
not really knowing what to do, I stacked hive bodys up put a floor on top and then a body with some drawn comb in just under the swarm then brushed them in and put a clearer board with a feeder on it
I cant have a 6 foot tall hive just inside the door to my shed, can I lower the hive 1 brood chamber at a time or will they just fly into the shed ?
I have moved bees sidways before but never tried doing it verticaly
advice on the best way of dealing with is would be appreciated

move the hive just outside the door they will find it. Then move it slowly bit by bit to where you want it unless you move it 3 miles.

move the hive just outside the door they will find it. Then move it slowly bit by bit to where you want it unless you move it 3 miles.
Thanks for the reply
Moving the hive outside wouldnt be a problem, but dropping the height from its current floor level of 4foot high to hive stand height is what I am concerned about
The shed is not exactly bee proof , so the bees might go back into the shed instead of finding the hive
Or I could move them as you suggest, to where my other bees are, about 4 miles away but it would be nice to have hives at home again

As long as the queen is in the box then they should follow. If you have the option of moving them then that is easier. Leave them with your others for a month then move them back to the position you want them in.

Latest posts

Back