Moved my bees to ROTHERHAM - 187 miles!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alynewbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've just moved house from Hampshire to Rotherham - 187 miles. My two hives did very well indeed on the back of a trailer and are now at the bottom of my garden and looking unconcerned.

So - my question. Any members of Rotherham Beekeeping Association out there? Please say hi - it would be lovely to hear from you.

Best regards
Alyson

Comment deleted

Last edited:
What did they do to offend you? It must have been something serious. Moving them to Rotherham is beyond a cruel and unnatural punishment.

Tee hee! I'm hoping that in time they will forgive me.

Husband's job brought us up here. Only been here a week and it is COLD! I think I must be officially a soft southerner (even though I was born in in the North East). I'm sure I'll toughen up given time.

What did they do to offend you? It must have been something serious. Moving them to Rotherham is beyond a cruel and unnatural punishment.

It could be worse ... it could have been Rawmarsh or even Mexborough !! I moved from there 45 years ago ... down South ... and I really notice the difference when I go back up ... always at least 5 degrees colder and it bites !!

It will take a while to get used to it ... as for the bees ... get plenty of insulation ready and some snow screens !!

Hi alynewbee not from rotherham but chesterfield not to far away i am from london lived here 35 years and still find it cold! good luck in your new home and hope you find rotherham beekeepers as friendly as those in chesterfield if not come and join our meetings its about a 30 min drive.

I hope you had your bees checked out for notifiable diseases before moving them into Rotherham. Rotherham area is currently free of such diseases.

I hope you had your bees checked out for notifiable diseases before moving them into Rotherham. Rotherham area is currently free of such diseases.

You'd be hard pushed to get a warmer welcome than that...

Welcome to Cardiland!
Bare bellies allowed on Friday nights by the foolhardy youth of the area. Builders bums are now mandatory for males of certain ages.
Escape to Rother Valley Country park or the surrounding hills and dales of Derbyshire is necessary at least once a month, to keep your sanity. Meadow Hell is the local car park and Christmas shopping nightmare that you can peek at from the M1 viaduct. Trains to Sheffield at regular intervals limited stop bus ditto. X78 or 87 I think. I prefer the train when I go to the back of beyond.
Clifton Park is the local town greenery and a conservation area near it. Quite nice, I mapped it on the local authority computer several years ago, so if a red line goes through your garden on your deeds its my fault you have to ask for permission to change anything other than the keys for the house.
I live in Sheffield but i gather the local Beek. Ass. is friendly just call a spade a spade and a pail a bucket.

Thank you Margaret Elisabeth for the bit of local colour. I ventured to Meadow Hall yesterday - free parking! I was impressed. I am certainly looking forward to making full use of the lovely countryside - we love to get our hiking boots on.

Welcome to Cardiland!
Bare bellies allowed on Friday nights by the foolhardy youth of the area. Builders bums are now mandatory for males of certain ages.
Escape to Rother Valley Country park or the surrounding hills and dales of Derbyshire is necessary at least once a month, to keep your sanity. Meadow Hell is the local car park and Christmas shopping nightmare that you can peek at from the M1 viaduct. Trains to Sheffield at regular intervals limited stop bus ditto. X78 or 87 I think. I prefer the train when I go to the back of beyond.
Clifton Park is the local town greenery and a conservation area near it. Quite nice, I mapped it on the local authority computer several years ago, so if a red line goes through your garden on your deeds its my fault you have to ask for permission to change anything other than the keys for the house.
I live in Sheffield but i gather the local Beek. Ass. is friendly just call a spade a spade and a pail a bucket.

Pit boots with polished steel toecaps for going out on the town seem to have faded from fashion.

Charming, well you will be welcome back down in Hampshire if they need to be returned to be quarantined-as if!

Being from 'Up North' origninally you will soon get used to people you don't know speaking to you in lifts, in shops, on buses and trains and ... in fact everywhere, they will call you Luv and Pet (regardless of gender) ... and expect you to reply !!

I can't think of many places on the planet where you will get a warmer welcome from the natives ... and as for Clifton Park ... oh the memories... there used to be a paddling pool there for kids in summer (probably filled in for H&S reasons now) and slopes which you could roll down while your mum and dad sat in deck chairs listening to the weekend's brass band playing in the bandstand... all that, plus smog, the red death from the steelworks, water in the canals and River Don that would take the skin off your hands ... those were the day !!

Life moves on PArgyle The fires of Hell have been replaced by Shopping from Hell: the canal has figs and other exotic fruits growing beside it; and water lilies in it as well as fish and pleasure narrow boats. I believe Clifton Park still has the paddling pool and the minirides where you can buy tickets on entry and let the kids learn to budget their funny money on rides of their choice. All this and Clifton Park Museum.
Of course over the motorway in Sheffield we have Grave's Art Gallery and the Millenium Gallery in the Winter garden The peace Gardens in the city centre, several Parks of considerable note and the Botanic Gardens which this weekend Hosts Art in the Gardens. Yours Truly has two paintings exhibited in then Open Art Exhibition and there are numerous other Professional artists with their work on display and for sale. Parking could be a problem: but plenty of trains and busses. What's more lots of friendly people to guide you on your way and no one muttering Bl****y tourists.

Life moves on PArgyle The fires of Hell have been replaced by Shopping from Hell: the canal has figs and other exotic fruits growing beside it; and water lilies in it as well as fish and pleasure narrow boats. I believe Clifton Park still has the paddling pool and the minirides where you can buy tickets on entry and let the kids learn to budget their funny money on rides of their choice. All this and Clifton Park Museum.
Of course over the motorway in Sheffield we have Grave's Art Gallery and the Millenium Gallery in the Winter garden The peace Gardens in the city centre, several Parks of considerable note and the Botanic Gardens which this weekend Hosts Art in the Gardens. Yours Truly has two paintings exhibited in then Open Art Exhibition and there are numerous other Professional artists with their work on display and for sale. Parking could be a problem: but plenty of trains and busses. What's more lots of friendly people to guide you on your way and no one muttering Bl****y tourists.

Years since I spent any time in Sheffield but at the time construction of the supertramways used to create tailbacks on the main road into town from t'motorway.
I believe there is a very highly regarded dog track in Sheffield for those of a sporting persuasion and at one time it hosted the "world stupid games" as some locals described them to me.

I've just moved house from Hampshire to Rotherham - 187 miles.
Alyson

That brought back a few fond (not) memories.
Last year husband and I suited up in the pouring rain to start the 250 mile move from Cumbria to Mid Wales. Got absolutely soaked !!!
Bees stayed overnight split between van and car and we set off at first light.
He was OK in van I had escapees, from under the floor, I guess; not many but enough to make life interesting whenever we stopped in traffic.
Queens all from Exmoor so strangely well travelled despite never leaving "the house" ;)
Next time?
I think I'd sell up and start again, give me an opportunity to start again and re-kit with Langstroth if husband didn't kill me in the process.

I've just moved house from Hampshire to Rotherham - 187 miles. My two hives did very well indeed on the back of a trailer and are now at the bottom of my garden and looking unconcerned.

So - my question. Any members of Rotherham Beekeeping Association out there? Please say hi - it would be lovely to hear from you.

Best regards
Alyson
Hi, And welcome to Rotherham, I live 6 miles from Rotherham and a Member of RBA come to our next meeting and make your self known and you will get a warm welcome,we meet every 3rd Wednesday of the month, look on RBA web site for more info. And you are welcome to come and visit me any time, If you are Interested just send me a PM Peter

Last edited:
Yay! I knew if we kept bringing it up someone from from over the M1 would poke their head above the parapet. Great:seeya: give her a good Yorkshire welcome:party:

I am not from Rotherham so everyone missed my point. I think everyone should check that their bees are free of AFB and EFB before moving them into a disease free area. How do you think Varroa spread so rapidly around the UK ? What about when the Small Hive beetle comes to the UK ? Why do you think BBKA doesn't recommend the import of bees from abroad ?

Back