Move super below 14x12 BB... or is it too early?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have two 14x12 hives, both with space and both with supers above ( yes, I know shouldn't have bothered with supers until BB was getting full!). I am not wanting to go into autumn/winter with supers either above or below, so I am thinking of now of moving the supers below so the bees could take up into the 14x12 BB. Sounds sensible?

There is no problem with what you suggest but it still seems early. We are only just into August. Are you sure your forage is over?
E

Depends - how much stores in the supers, is it capped? You've wisely realised that 14x12's don't need additional stores to what's in the brood so, if what's in the super is capped, I'd just extract, if it's uncapped, depends how much is in there.

I rarely get an August flow. I presume you're not near heather. Agree no need for supers over winter on 14x12. Two choices: scarify any capped honey in the super and put it above a crown board with a hole and above an eke. It is not regarded as part of the colony and is 'robbed' by the bees in the BB. Or, scarify again and put the super below the BB. Hopefully the honey will be lifted into the BB so that you can remove the shallow before winter. I'd try the former.

Latest posts

Back