move or seal up the bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

666bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 swarms, 1 14x12 nuc, national nuc
I have a hive where the farmer is about to spray the field with roundup and gallup hi aktiv a systemic herbicide, should I move them while he sprays, keep them sealed in for half a day while he sprays or just leave them where they are. The spray will be about 15 feet away.

Peoples experiences greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Leave the bees alone they should be fine, herbicides are not insecticides, and in fact these days I don't shut in even for insecticides on advice from some one I have a great deal of confidence in and it has made no odds that I can see.

PH

Thanks for that PH, I didn't want to move them really as they are now full of winter stores.

Leave the bees alone they should be fine, herbicides are not insecticides, and in fact these days I don't shut in even for insecticides on advice from some one I have a great deal of confidence in and it has made no odds that I can see.

PH

:iagree:

there are plenty here who would disagree with the above advice. If you get the chance to move them temporarily, I would. Considering the fine weather, lots of bees will be out and about and herbicide particles are not nice.

regards

S

why do you disagree?

My bees are 10 yards from side of a field and this farm sprays alot i havent ever shut mine in yet and had no issues yet

both products are glyphosate, just different brand names and at this time of year they are probably only using a low dose on the stubble,shutting your bee,s in or moving them will probably stress them out more .

we are surrounded by osr in spring and wheat or corn at other times. Ihave asked the farmer to tell us when he is going to spray but he never does. I dont think it has ever caused any problems in the hives.

Latest posts

Back