Mouseguard - how & exactly when do you fit it?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"So, as I read it, the current model, correctly installed, does not need a porch, extended floor or nails to rest on. Exactly as illustrated in the catalogue.

Doc, has yours not got that 'stop', or doesn't it work? (Or did you maybe fit it before reading the instructions?)"

hadn't looked that closely at the end pieces (despite having them out of the bag) - so i take it there is a slot in the top of the end pieces that the lug slides into?

Does anybody have any ideas as to how one could cut the steel mouseguards down into nuc sizes?

you could invest in a sthil petrol disc cutter, or maybe a three phase industrial hacksaw.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how one could cut the steel mouseguards down into nuc sizes?

Little Dremel drill with various wheels, kit usually includes one or more cutting wheels that'll zip through stainless like that. (Wear goggles and gloves for safety)
Extremely useful for all sorts of things bee or domestic, once you have one you'll have no idea what you did without it. ;)

I put mine on today and was pleased I had read this thread and abandoned drawing pins for message board pins with plastic ends...easy peasey even with gloves on, no more than a minute each from start to finish.

Hope she who must be obeyed doesn't notice messages sharing pins!!!

Bees just carried on bringing in pollen.

do you need to remove the entrance block before fitting the mouse guard

i have just put mine on with entrance block in place
i bought those travel gate/mouse guards - think i have wasted my money...!
and i think i put it on upside down
i assume the little arches go over the entrance, not the tiny holes (which i thought bees would be able to get through (it was dark when i fitted them, but in daylight the bees do not look amused) )
the joys of learning, something so simple and yet a blonde can screw it up, AGAIN !!!!

do you need to remove the entrance block before fitting the mouse guard

i have just put mine on with entrance block in place
i bought those travel gate/mouse guards - think i have wasted my money...!
and i think i put it on upside down
i assume the little arches go over the entrance, not the tiny holes (which i thought bees would be able to get through (it was dark when i fitted them, but in daylight the bees do not look amused) )
the joys of learning, something so simple and yet a blonde can screw it up, AGAIN !!!!

Have you put it the right way up now?

not yet, want to check that the arches are at the bottom
do i remove entrance block before fitting guard

just looked in T catalogue to see pic of the guard i bought
back outside to change it over !!!
i set it for ventilation, not mouse guard, stupid me

thanks Tom, back out again to remove block
thankfully only the poly hive are out at minute, too cold for cedar ones.

personally....

1. With drawing pins
2. Yesterday

But it all depends on what works best for you.

:iagree: :yeahthat: i cut it to size with an old pair of scissors. unfortunatly i'v still got wasps about too :ohthedrama: but not as meney so hopefully the bees can see them off
oh and :welcome:

Last edited:
I put my mouse guards on after I had finished work it was getting dark so I wore a head light but being dark there were no bees flying so no need to get suited and booted or even wear gloves so it made the job simple

I put my mouse guards on after I had finished work it was getting dark so I wore a head light but being dark there were no bees flying so no need to get suited and booted or even wear gloves so it made the job simple

Hint: use a *red* (head) torch. If it had been warmer, you just might have had a bit of trouble with a *white* light ...

I use entrance blocks with gimp pins installed like a portcullis, KISS principle

Hint: use a *red* (head) torch. If it had been warmer, you just might have had a bit of trouble with a *white* light ...

?

Why?

Oh ok, have searched nd read that bees don't see red!

Last edited:

Is it because bees can't see in a red light ?

Latest posts

Back