Mouse guards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bee bee king

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When is the appropriate time to fit mouse guards ? Normally done it by now but so mild at the mo here in hastings, e sussex

When is the appropriate time to fit mouse guards ? Normally done it by now but so mild at the mo here in hastings, e sussex
Haven't put ours on yet as the pollen is pouring in, probably fit them in the next few weeks when we put on the recticel

I don't use them. My hives are overhanging their stands. Same idea as steddle stones.
Trouble is my bees are rural so I'm bothered by woodpeckers, mice and rats and badgers plus human trespassers. Last year the badgers tore off the mouse guards and then the rats ate the openings bigger and ate through several brood boxes. Also I like the entrance at the front in the sun so I can see at a glance what's going on. I might try this version tho on a few hives.

All my floors are UFE
Having found bees’ wings on the inspection tray for a couple of weeks I found the culprit. Sneaking into the porch, running along it till a guard bee poked her head out to see what was happening, then snaffling her to eat on the tray.

View attachment DSCF0013.mov

Trouble is my bees are rural so I'm bothered by woodpeckers, mice and rats and badgers plus human trespassers. Last year the badgers tore off the mouse guards and then the rats ate the openings bigger and ate through several brood boxes. Also I like the entrance at the front in the sun so I can see at a glance what's going on. I might try this version tho on a few hives.
Mine are rural too, biggest issue is with deer and curiously tits. The tits peck away at the entrances of poly nucs. I rebuilt the face of couple with cement, so far it's remained intact.

Latest posts

Back