Mouse Gaurds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it safe to remove mouse guards at this time and replace with an entrance block?
Already on several occasions watched two bee's struggling through the same hole with pollen loads.

Last edited:
What do you call 'safe'?

If someone with twenty colonies were to take the chance it might be unlucky to lose a colony to mice at this time of the year (not yet into March and my bees are only flying a little today) when some sustained late cold snap can easily send the bees back into a tight cluster.

There again, if you only have one colony a late loss to mice would represent a 100% loss.

Your call, but you can see what my choice would be in your shoes.

Regards, RAB

Must admit the mouse gards on both mine are now off and reduced entrance blocks in place,as I have also noticed bees struggling to get into the hive and several that have just collapsed on the ground and not managed to get into the hive with their load. That said I am keeping a sharp eye on the weather, a sustained cold period, which is entirely possible, and I will be putting them back on.

I won't be taking mine off until the weather is much better. Won't even think about it for another month. Meesters love honey and will get in if they can.
Cazza

Back