Moron of the day ....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realised recently that many people don't understand pesticides kill non target species. If it's labelled wasp spray, ant powder or flea treatment they think it ONLY targets those.

So upsetting as it is (and I had to hold off a day to calm down to post this), perhaps it can be viewed as an opportunity to educate them. Maybe they're using other pesticides like lawn treatments, and it could make them think more holistically about how useful wasps are most of the year, etc.

Or they might be one of those neighbours are best left alone. You'll know best.

I put it on local social media (Nextdoor), using the potential danger to children and dogs as a reason for posting (while also mentioning the effect on non target species). It got a few supportive comments so hopefully the message got through.

It rained last night so we'll see if the powder is reapplied...

I put it on local social media (Nextdoor), using the potential danger to children and dogs as a reason for posting (while also mentioning the effect on non target species). It got a few supportive comments so hopefully the message got through.

It rained last night so we'll see if the powder is reapplied...
Would have been hosed off if it were me !
after all water is cheap enough even if powder reapplied !
who knows you could feature in an episode of “ Neighbours fromHell “ 😂😂

I had a similar incident a few yearsund o ago. Hive was suddenly covere in white dust and dead bees everywhere. Local householder/farmer had poured it over ivy that was being foraged to protect their children.
By the time I found out it was too late but only one hive appeared to be using this source of ivy nectar.
SWMBO would be warning me at this point not lose my temper and remember I am not as young as I used to be.

I had a similar incident a few yearsund o ago. Hive was suddenly covere in white dust and dead bees everywhere. Local householder/farmer had poured it over ivy that was being foraged to protect their children.
By the time I found out it was too late but only one hive appeared to be using this source of ivy nectar.
SWMBO would be warning me at this point not lose my temper and remember I am not as young as I used to be.

Let's try and learn from that unfortunate incident 8(

What symptoms did you see in the dead bees that might help another beekeeper diagnose poisoning? I understand rhey can be ambiguous, like tongues out (can also be due to starvation). Were the bees in one big heap just outside the entrance?

Was the white dust carried there by the bees themselves?

I used to spray highly toxic products in massive glasshouses and outdoors with a powered knapsack 2000 to 3000l everyday PA9. Peaple dont realise that if something kills insects etc, then it will surely harm a human. Does not matter how super you are. The problem is that pesticides are insidious and you dont need alot to cause problems. Most often it will be years later. In the case of some types of human not fast enough. All the laws in the world are useless if not applied. In the case with pest control you would think the user would understand self pressurvation and think it in there own best interest to be safe from self poisoning. Ignorance is bliss.

Looks like ant powder.

If so surely they have not followed proper use as stipulated on the label.

It might not be malicious, they probably saw a hornet near the ivy and freaked out. A lot of people are just clueless about pesticides.

I had a neighbor who doused her garden in pesticide this time last year, because she thought bugs were killing her flowers. I explained "its September, they die this time of year!". Gardening is a new hobbie for her. She is lovely, fills her garden with flowers and has stopped using pesticide.

So try have a friendy chat with your neighbour first and expain your concerns, and ask why they did it to start with. You may be able to help them find a better solution to the problem for both of you.

There's a dry stone wall by a footpath near my home. There was a bumble bee nest in it. You could walk by it quite safely, but some idiot decided to poison it. I'd posted on a local Facebook site early on saying it was no danger and not to fear walking past it and posted afterwards condemning the idiot.

I had a similar incident a few years ago. Hive was suddenly covered in white dust and dead bees everywhere. Local householder/farmer had poured it over ivy that was being foraged to protect their children.

I'm surprised a farmer who's use of chemicals is regulated in his professional life couldn't see how using a chemical in a way that was not approved was a good idea? Presumably he's not repeated the exercise so he got your message?

It also looks like wasp killing powder

Since it is ivy, which is currently covered in wasps, I suspect it's the latter.

"wasp powder" - haha.

All my knowledge of pesticides and I had never herd of wasp powder! In my defense its not a "crop protection product" witch is more my remit.

But, yes, looks like you are right.

I would guess they still have not followed the instructions on the label.

Latest posts

Back