More Goobledygook form Ebay.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Please understand that due to the safety concerns of eBay community and its members, eBay does not permit grenades, dynamite including metal military practice grenades, rifle grenades, dummy grenades, dummy dynamite grenade launcher attachments, grenade relics, and mines. This is true regardless of whether the grenade has been demilitarized or made ?unserviceable.? Please do not relist this item on the site. Please understand that you stated that "Ebay takes 10% from postal charge and I am sorry to do this but to cover that fee" in the listing description. Sellers may not charge eBay buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including PayPal, cheques, money orders, electronics transfers, or credit cards. Passing on eBay seller fees may cause confusion to bidders as they don't know the true costs of the item when they're bidding. Such costs should be built into the price of the item. You may relist your item by editing the listing accordingly.

Ebay text robots are picking up phrases in your listings.

Grenades or Grenadine?

Ebay changed the rules a while back to take commission on the post and packing. It was widely believed thet it was a response to some charging 99p for small items and £9 post and packing - ebay was getting comission on only the 99p. The alternative explanation is that ebay will charge for anything and whatever the amount they think they can get away with. There is some rule about only charging the actual cost of postage, and the price suggestion on listing is the straight Royal Mail stamp price. But the cost of packing and posting actually includes envelopes, labels, tape, bubblewrap or whatever and you could be paying someone to wrap it. Even without the materials, I was trying to work out what selling actually cost on ebay and paypal. One example was that if you sold something for 1p and charged £2.80 for posting a small parcel 2nd class, it would cost you 3.81 in charges and stamps, in other words you'd be out of pocket 1.01. If you did the same on Amazon I make it 1.35 you'd be losing.

It seems there's nothing to stop you charging more than the stamp but you can't say in the description that the extra is because of ebay and paypal. Even though it is. Reminds me of the situation that used to apply to credit cards. Your merchant contract used to say you couldn't charge the customer more for paying by credit card than cash. That was ruled illegal. What followed at first was a few cautious surcharges of a pound or two or 2%, then came the like of Ryanair loading on whatever charges they could to a low advertised fare.

Last edited:
I use to buy swiss army knifes from ebay until BBCs Watch Dog did an expose on how youths could buy knifes from them. Ebay now don't sell knifes, oddly every other online store does.

I am still waiting for an answer as to if they removed items because they think that dummy fake dynamite breeched their knives and firearm rules or because I said about postage....

You cant sell a knife but you can sell a letter opener.
An officers batton should not be described as a batton.....
Not sure of situation Stanley knives now, but you couldnt sell them..but you could sell Stanley blades. Craft knife.

They once told me that an empty cigarette packet shouldnt have anything in it.
Another time I asked them what a Nazi helmet was.......There isnt such a thing but they said "Look on google"

Last edited:
I sold hundreds of multi tools and in the description I put the words pen knifes and it was not long before they removed the listing.
What ebay told me was that we only remove items if they have been reported by another person, you will usually find it's your competition that reported you. Another thing that p!ss@d me off was I would spend hours taking good photos in a light box and some bugger would pinch them for their own listings. I closed my shop a few years ago and I still see my pictures floating about

I sold hundreds of multi tools and in the description I put the words pen knifes and it was not long before they removed the listing.
What ebay told me was that we only remove items if they have been reported by another person, you will usually find it's your competition that reported you. Another thing that p!ss@d me off was I would spend hours taking good photos in a light box and some bugger would pinch them for their own listings. I closed my shop a few years ago and I still see my pictures floating about

I have had somebody who copied one of my pictures of a tax disc that had "sample" written across it........and has used that picture to produce and sell his own. They had to go to the trouble of editing out "sample" .. I know he copied my pic because it has a deliberate mistake on it for just such an occasion. They could have bought the disc for £1.99 and scanned it..

I even tried watermarking them with my store name and they still edited it out

Still trying to get around flebuys embargo on selling live honeybees.

Could one advertise a a nuc and give away the bees?
A bit like the old Sunday trading laws that forbade the selling of furniture etc, but you could sell a goldfish for £500 and give away a free bed with it!

just a thought

James

Latest posts

Back