Mixed size frames in a National

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyPayne

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I collected a swarm a couple of weeks ago and finally got round to buying a new National hive for them. The issue I have is that I temporarily housed them in a 6 frame 14x12 nuc but only had 3 x super frames and 3 x 14x12 frames. From memory I think there are 3 and then 3 (not mixed up). Now, I purchased a standard hive so only the super frames will fit in. Should I put an eke underneath and fit everything in for now? Assuming so, how do I go about removing the incorrect size frames and putting the correct ones in? I only have frames with foundation on, none drawn

I hope this makes sense and look forward to any help offered.

Thanks,
Tony

I collected a swarm a couple of weeks ago and finally got round to buying a new National hive for them. The issue I have is that I temporarily housed them in a 6 frame 14x12 nuc but only had 3 x super frames and 3 x 14x12 frames. From memory I think there are 3 and then 3 (not mixed up). Now, I purchased a standard hive so only the super frames will fit in. Should I put an eke underneath and fit everything in for now? Assuming so, how do I go about removing the incorrect size frames and putting the correct ones in? I only have frames with foundation on, none drawn

I hope this makes sense and look forward to any help offered.

Thanks,
Tony

Yes ... put a super under the BS National and that will give you (more or less) 14 x 12 box size. Leave the super frames in there and they will build free comb on the bottom of them.

Personally, I prefer 14 x 12 size but you have two options (or possibly three depending upon what other frames you have) .. Once they have built out the super frames (or BS Nationals) move the 14 x 12 frames away from the brood area and when they are clear of brood change them for nationals - you can do the same with super frames in due course. Once you are all on BS Nationals remove the super, cut the free comb off the bottom and you have a national box. You can then look forward to the abortion that is brood and a half with a super on top or below the standard national as they will need the additional brood space and the extra storage space going into winter.

The better option (IMO) is to stick with 14 x 12, fasten the super permanently to the brood box and work the nationals or super frames out as above. Then you will only need the one brood box for your bees. Oh ... and buy 14 x 12 kit in the future ...

Thanks for the advice.

I already have two 14x12 Nationals and wanted to see what the difference was from a beekeeping perspective. It was also marginally cheaper, which is important for me over the next few months!

Can I recommend NOT to use a super under the National box? I tried it, but the amount of free comb was so heavy it routinely fell off at inspection. I am now using an eke of the right size (slightly smaller, I expect that 20 careful minutes with a saw could get you the same effect). You can also make rectangular frames from wire coat hangers to hook over the bottom bars of your smaller frames and hang down the correct distance, to act as a support for the free comb until you're able to replace the frames.

If you never hold the frame horizontal, the free comb will not break off - look up how to inspect a top bar hive. I keep a shallow frame in every brood box. The bees tend to draw drone comb on the bottom, which is then removed, when sealed, to help wit varroa control. Never have a problem with the comb breaking off. It is easy to make an eke of correct size with 4bits of wood. It does not need elaborate joints

Make an eke for temp use.

When they are on 8 good frames of brood or equivalent put your brood box on toop with foundation and when the queen is up laying slip in an excluder and they will carry on up top and after three weeks remove the problem box. Sorted.

KISS

PH

Thanks for all the advice. I'll have a think about what might be best for me and give it a go. It certainly seems like it's all trial and error rather than a science!

Latest posts

Back