• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Mike learns from Australia.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Mike, my nuc survived. Suppose that is most important thing. I also had it delivered in the evening so it would stay cool and that was part of the cost.

Victor, the packaged bees need to be treated like a swarm and will act in the same way. There instinct will be to find a home, build a colony and get some stores in place.

You would need to feed the packaged bees upon arrival whilst they were drawing comb. It could take a couple of week of doing this until the queen started to lay eggs and the colony became self sufficient.

A lot will depend on the quality and age of the bees that are contained in the package. You will be looking for a healthy balance of foraging and nursing bees. But their instinct will be to draw comb and make a home.

I'm not sure how packages of bees are assembled ? swarming(as an event) is down to the hive mind at the time, and yes comb building is a priority at this time. however a package contains bees + a caged Queen, not neccesarily in a swarming mood (swarms often abscond after being hived :Chevy_anim:).
I just thought it would help to stop such abandonings ?.

John

The Dummies Guide to beekeeping gives solid instruction in how to hive packaged bees. There are also some good videos on Youtube which show how easy it is.

The bees are given a liberal spraying of sugar syrup as are the frames. This makes them lick all over the place and in the process leave there scent everywhere.

With the lack of a hive and queen pheremones for a period of time, the bees are desperate for a new place to live and a queen. The new hive and new queen give them everything they need, and this also helps them stay put.

Latest posts

Back