Merge coloniies using mesh?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
I need to merge two colonies. Conveniently, one has a top entrance, the other bottom. Rather than using the usual newspaper, I plan to separate the comonies using a sheet of green garden mesh which I can slide out after a few days, then close one entrance.

Comments please.

You’ll end up in a right mesh if you’re not careful.

But seriously, why not stick to tried and tested methods, especially at this time of year?

What benefit this will provide over the tried and tested (newspaper) method?

I need to merge two colonies. Conveniently, one has a top entrance, the other bottom. Rather than using the usual newspaper, I plan to separate the comonies using a sheet of green garden mesh which I can slide out after a few days, then close one entrance.

Comments please.
If you use newspaper you won’t have to remove anything. The bees will take it all away

Thanks for the replies. These are colonies in Warre hives. Without frames, separating boxes usually resuts in damaged comb, -brood, honey or both. Any drips on the newspaper can mean that it is chewed through in short order, resulting in fighting and dead bees. I hope to avoid this using the mesh method, which I seem to recall that friend Finnie has frequenly used.

Thanks for the replies. These are colonies in Warre hives. Without frames, separating boxes usually resuts in damaged comb, -brood, honey or both. Any drips on the newspaper can mean that it is chewed through in short order, resulting in fighting and dead bees. I hope to avoid this using the mesh method, which I seem to recall that friend Finnie has frequenly used.
But ... if you are combining two colonies you have already two separate brood boxes so the mess is already done ... why not use the air freshener method - quick squirt of air freshener into the top of the bottom box and the bottom of the top box and put them together. However, you have to find one of the queens so how are you going to do that without taking frames out of the boxes ?

Not so, unfortunately. The strongest is in box 2 &, 3 of 5, the weaker is in box 3 of 4. I plan to harvest honey at the same time too.

Last edited:
But ... if you are combining two colonies you have already two separate brood boxes so the mess is already done ... why not use the air freshener method - quick squirt of air freshener into the top of the bottom box and the bottom of the top box and put them together. However, you have to find one of the queens so how are you going to do that without taking frames out of the boxes ?
any preferred brand of air freshener? ;)

any preferred brand of air freshener? ;)
I don't think it makes a lot of difference .. I've always used the Glade that 'er indoors has in the cloakroom - I think the last one was something to do with fresh linen .... you really don't need very much - just a quick squirt top and bottom. Job done ..

The merge worked well using mesh, with no squabbling when it was removed. Framing the mesh like a QE would make it easier to handle if I was doing it regularly.
I am not keen on the 'air freshener' method which I have tried before. Although I used it sparingly, It was there as an off-flavour when I harvested cut comb months later.

Latest posts

Back