Mentor wanted - South London (Camberwell)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickyjay

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,

I have been facinated with the idea of keeping bee's in my back garden for a while now and have decided to take the plunge this spring (very exciting!). Although I have read up alot and plan to attend some courses when they start up later in the year, I am very keen to find someone who is already keeping bee's in London to share their experience and guide me in the nuances of keeping bee's in the city. Especially with regards to best strains and size of hives etc. I would like to start prepartion soon with regards to purchase decisions so am keen to make some contacts of bee keepers in the area. There is a Bee Keeping association that meets in Kennington that I plan to connect with, so if anyone is already part of it, I would be very happy to hear from you also.
Nick

im no good for mentoring but im in south london (dulwich ) if u want a beekeeping friend

joe

Hi everyone,

I have been facinated with the idea of keeping bee's in my back garden for a while now and have decided to take the plunge this spring (very exciting!). Although I have read up alot and plan to attend some courses when they start up later in the year, I am very keen to find someone who is already keeping bee's in London to share their experience and guide me in the nuances of keeping bee's in the city. Especially with regards to best strains and size of hives etc. I would like to start prepartion soon with regards to purchase decisions so am keen to make some contacts of bee keepers in the area. There is a Bee Keeping association that meets in Kennington that I plan to connect with, so if anyone is already part of it, I would be very happy to hear from you also.
Nick

personal i would suggest you get on a course ASAP you must at least visit apiary taster days before you take the plunge, 70000 bees in a small 500 millimetre cube box can be quite intimidating and 35000 bees in tthe box and the other 35000 swarming in your neighbour kitchen is even worse

London bees can be prolific due to good forage and the long season but that means they get overcrowded easier and swarm

we train our beginner over the spring (sorry course already started) then offer a mentor ship on a training apiary for the first year, then let them loose on their neighbours

but if you must get a hive such a 14x12 national for London and most modern bees that are available ,google park bees of blackheath, and go to their industrial unit an talk to Godfrey (but not on a saturday he is to busy and dont buy an extractor hire one from kennington)

Last edited:
Hi, thx for the responses and suggestions. I'll PM you later Jallen. Would be good to get to know someone in the area with a colony already. Have you had good results in Dulwich?

I have registered for a course in Kennington for a months time although only a taster. I am looking at more indepth courses for later in the year. The bit about swarming is the part that makes me most nervous! Although I do have a fair amount of space out back as my garden does not back onto any other houses.

The bit about swarming is the part that makes me most nervous.

they are quite calm when they swarm, looks a real nightmare but it is all noise and no aggression and normally you never seem them again if they do swarm, you will arrive home to find them gone, the neighbour may have seen them of a nearbye tree for a few hours and will complain though

small secondary castes can be more of a problem as they can be near the hives on fences and under sheltered parts of biuldings

Ok. You sound like you have had a fair amount of experience with them!

Thats the impression I had about swarms. However it's the neighbours reaction if it ends up near them that bothers me more than the swarm itself. Is it something that can easily be prevented with good hive management skills developed over time or will it happen regardless of what you do?

Ok. You sound like you have had a fair amount of experience with them!

Thats the impression I had about swarms. However it's the neighbours reaction if it ends up near them that bothers me more than the swarm itself. Is it something that can easily be prevented with good hive management skills developed over time or will it happen regardless of what you do?

it how the multiply ,so all bees colonies want to divide into two (at least)each year if the conditions are right

, the art of bee keeping is being one step ahead of them and fooling them into thinking they have swarmed, that's what takes time to learn

it alwell reading books but bee dont read books, last year a second year beginner on an allotment had one prime swarm and 7 castes ( secondary swarms) as she ignored the course teachers advise and did it her way, she has been thrown off the alltmnet by the allotment committee

ok we all miss swarm warnings and get it wrong but try not to do it to often

it is also commitment, you need to inspect the hive if it is a standard frame type every seven days like clockwork from May to June ( perhaps later in london

Last edited:
nickyjay,

I am a member of the LBKA, which meets at Roots & Shoots in Kennington (occasionally)and at Walworth Garden Farm (mostly).

I went on their introductory course three years ago, a full practical course two years ago and passed my Basic Beekeeping exam last year. The LBKA has provided excellent support and advice throughout, as has this forum.

My bees are kept in a narrow roof gully area four stories high, however, so mentoring is not feasible. However, I would not encourage anyone in an urban area to keep bees before they had gone on the full practical course and been mentored for a while by someone with several years experience in urban beekeeping.

In my view, Beekeeping is a low-frequency, high-intensity activity in which education is the essential (and ongoing!) component.

Good luck with your course ... and eventually, your bees !

Why don't you come along to the London Beekeepers (LBKA)? We offer mentors on a first come first served basis to beginners who have done a course who are members. We also collect swarms and have a supply of bees for said beginners.

Hope to see you there. PM me if you are shy and we can go together.

Nick

Can I assume you're coming to the Taster session on Sunday?

I'm a member of London Beekeepers as well and will be at the course on Sunday.

Cheers!

Hi guys, thanks for all the later posts regarding the LBKA. Have been away from the forum for a while. Have now done the 2 day course with you guys which was great and met lots of other keen beekeepers. Will now be getting involved with some of your apiaries including the brockwell park one. Have already installed my national and the girls went in on Saturday. They seem to be doing well so far. Fingers crossed...
Thx guys

Nickjay - did you get started with bees in Camberwell? I'm in Camberwell and wanted to start next spring (2015). Maybe you have some good ideas already.

Latest posts

Back