Melting Wax in Lidl Jam Boiler Thingy!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello,

Some time ago, a helpful person directed the forum to this item from Lidl:
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_16042.htm?offerdate=&ar2=

With the intention of using it to melt wax.

Now - being the kind of person I am, this was immediately purchased, without a great deal of thought, I have to admit.

I've tried using it 3 times now to make a lovely little wax block from old bits of comb - so far without a great deal of success. Each time I've tried a different approach - on attempt 1, I got a small block of wax, but it seemed to take FOREVER. Attempt 2 was a dismal failure, and I got nothing but a few "wafers".
Attempt 3 - I'm not sure about yet... it is boiling away downstairs as we speak.

SO - i thought - are any of you using this device successfully to melt your wax? If so, could you share how you do it? :banghead:

Thanks!

I got bored waiting for the wax to melt so put the lid on.

I had a couple of bucket loads to do today so put them in the garden in the solar wax melter,jobs a goodun..

How are you using it? Are you melting clean wax ? The idiots assessment is that what melts comes out the tap. Is that happening?

A small point is that wax needs gentle heat. Boiling to the extent of bubbling ruins it. Also wax - unlike jam - is combustible!

Regards

FB

Ps have you tried any other method eg a simple bain marie?

Last edited:
The link only takes me to the Lidl home page and I can't go any further I think without registering.

Have you added some water to the wax? Rainwater is recommended but I use tap water around here without any problems.

Difficult to know what the problem is without more information. If you can heat the wax up to say 70 to 80C it will melt and float on top of the water.

The link only takes me to the Lidl home page and I can't go any further I think without registering.

Have you added some water to the wax? Rainwater is recommended but I use tap water around here without any problems.

Difficult to know what the problem is without more information. If you can heat the wax up to say 70 to 80C it will melt and float on top of the water.
Click on 'continue without postcode' near the bottom of the web page and the item gets shown.

Thermostat starts at 30 centigrade upwards.
Ruary

I melted around 40kg of wax in winter using a burco boiler.

I have found that you need to boil the water first in a bain-marrie method. It was extremely slow, and i am not very patience.

I ended up using a small amount of boiling water than added the wax a kept stirring. You'll find it separates quickly, water at the bottom, then dirty wax, then clean with a scum on the top. I pored mine though a muslin cloth to try and filter the casings and dirt out. It worked well but be careful not to boil the wax, temp regulation is key. Be careful with the wax when it is hot it is highly flammable! I never had much success with the tap on the boiler it blocked with wax, crap when it cooled leaving the boiler. Pour into a bucket though the cloth, then leave to set the water will separate you should be left with a clean solid piece of wax.

Half fill with water,bring the temperature up to about 75 deg to 80 deg.Put wax into a pair of the missuses best tights,tie knot in end then float in hot water.Be patient then wax will melt leaving dross in tights and you skim the wax off the top of the water.

rain water in the bottom brought up to temperature, wax placed on a cloth that has a bungee holding it in place, lid on and insulating material put on top of the lid. (in my case the insulating material was old thermal liners from motorbiking kit) leave it for quite a long time and then switch off and allow to cool.

repeat untill wax is a clean as you want it....simples

wax.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back