Melted correx with OA sublimator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On the off chance that someone else makes this mistake here's what I c****d up today. From the school of learning the hard way.
Second vape of three vapes at 5 day intervals to deal with one hive that for some reason had a high mite level a month after apiguard.
I left the correx inspection tray in place and had used sponge to lift the tray at the back of the hive to help contain the fumes.
My OA vaporiser, (like the Thorne vapmite one, battery powered heated pan system), had
melted a patch of the correx as it was too close to the mesh floor. I didn't realise until removing the vapouriser at the end of the process.
Quite a number of dead bees, some in the pan itself and others looking stunned and unwell. I ventilated the hive asap and am hopeful that as long as the Q is ok they'll survive.
Using the correx floor to improve efficacy of vape is fine as long as you use a device that isn't doing the heating anywhere near the correx floor.
Hamlet cigar moment.

I vape under the floor on an insert board but replace the normal plastic insert board with ply/hardboard insert, where the pan sits I glue some small wooden fillets as guides to keep the pan in position. Under the pan I stick or staple some thin tin ( from food tin pulls used for fish) to prevent the board scorching.

Logic should tell you plastic and excess heat don't mix also best not to put the heated source directly in the hive as bees will die in contact with the device and the worse case is the Q dying which has occurred once to a forum user.

I've done that before, was only a small section melted and didn't seem to harm bees. I have a thin plank of damp plywood that I put on top of the correx now. rest the pan on that with a piece of foam filling the gap between correx and floor at back of hive

I vape under the floor on an insert board but replace the normal plastic insert board with ply/hardboard insert, where the pan sits I glue some small wooden fillets as guides to keep the pan in position. Under the pan I stick or staple some thin tin ( from food tin pulls used for fish) to prevent the board scorching.
Logic should tell you plastic and excess heat don't mix.
Well I will too from now on!

It's all a learning curve, if all your hives are the same and use a std floor size then make up one or two vaping insert boards for this use only and vape under the mesh floor.

I'm probably odd because if I vape it's from above, using an eke with a hole in it. Pretty sure Hivemaker (RIP) used to do that. Also, most of my floors are either solid or only a patch of mesh.

I'm probably odd because if I vape it's from above, using an eke with a hole in it. Pretty sure Hivemaker (RIP) used to do that. Also, most of my floors are either solid or only a patch of mesh.
Same here. Though I don’t have enough ekes to go round so some get vaped over the omf through a small hole at the back. Sublimox, though.

I have made a a metal tray that fits into the cores slits. The Pan sits on that under the OMF. It is easy to block off the back and the entrance and job done!

When I used to use the pan type I got a soldering mat and placed it over the a ply insert, no problems resting the pan upon it.

Same here. My Swienty hives do not play nicely with the Sublimox pipe vaporiser anyway entrance or via mesh floor. So drilled holes top of boxes at the back so vapour goes in just below the frame tops and I don't use an eke. Lined the holes with hollow steel rivet nuts to protect the poly from the heated pipe and plug with test tube tops when not in use and works well. Nice to watch the vapour going across and down via polycarbonate crown boards and I dont bother sealing off the entrance.

Be careful vaping below frame tops. The sublimox delivers a wickedly fast stream and you don’t want the queen in the way

Be careful vaping below frame tops. The sublimox delivers a wickedly fast stream and you don’t want the queen in the way
Thanks. At the moment the holes are in top back of the winter feeding supers only. However will take out the drill to my poly ekes though and use them up top next time. Thanks for the heads up.

I take mine off entirely and replace the crownboard but there’s no reason why you couldn’t leave it on as you say.
In which case, if it's coming off, couldn't you just use one eke/clear cover for all the hives in turn?
you could but then it means disturbing the colony every time I like to leave mine on and just go down the line with the sublimox. Doing it from the top means you don’t have to close the entrances, just the mesh and you can do it during the day when the bees are flying

Latest posts

Back