Mead recipe please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the 5L water bottles but get them from the supermarket and use the water to make the mead or wine as I think you get a better result and seem to clear that bit faster. I tend to use them twice and then get fresh, as they are a bit more difficult to clean than glass.

This year I managed to blag a couple of the 18L water office dispenser job’s and will give them ago and next year convert them into swarm retrieving thingy mi jigs

Wilkinsons has a very basic homebrew section which is handy but as I said only the basics, demijohns, bungs fermentaiton locks etc,and some basic chemicals.

I tried the PET demijohns, went back to glass. Don't like the squishyness of plastic, means that when you move it however careful you are the contents gets really disturbed and then takes ages to settle again (for racking) also they tend to have undulating sides which makes cleaning a lot more difficult that a nice smooth glass demijohn. So for me glass every time.

Wilkinsons has a very basic homebrew section which is handy but as I said only the basics, demijohns, bungs fermentaiton locks etc,and some basic chemicals.

So do Lakelands. Think they only started recently. For easy clarification try Bentonite. All good winemakers swear by it and I have used it for over 30 years. Better than egg white and the rest with no adverse odours etc at all.

Last edited:
Just "noticed" that last year's batch has finally cleared. It's a lot better than my first attempt, but still not quite the right balance I feel. A bit too dry and lacking punch it seems to me, maybe a bit longer to mature perhaps. No idea how strong it is.
Did you use any campden tablets? I am hearing mixed reports about them.

mead

a tip for mead makers. Look out for demi johns in charity shops I paid £1.50. each. :serenade:

Latest posts

Back