Mead recipe please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 2 demijohns I started on 31st July, placed in the greenhouse, have stopped fermenting. now racked, filtered, and bottled. ( quite a lot has been drunk already )

ready to drink in 24 days!! and it's lovely, with a good taste of honey still in it.

The first one of five gallons done to Tonybloke's recipe........ Can't wait :hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

20120828_223333.jpg

racked off and filtered a gallon of mead yesterday.
it is so lovely that before I'd finished filtering the mead I'd started another gallon off.

recipe and method

4 lbs of honey warmed in 4 pints of water
juice of one lemon > into the mix
dried yeast > 1/3 cup of warm water > leave to soak without stirring for 15 minutes.

put warm honey/water/lemon juice mixture > into demi-john.
stir yeast into water, > add to demi-john.
top up with warm water to within 2" of the bung level
place hand over neck of demi-john, invert the demi-john (without letting the liquid escape) pick it up and give it a good shake!
return to upright position.
insert bung / airlock.
should start almost straight away.

tony - what yeast do you use for this?

Is there anything to be said for using the previous years honey and starting at the beginning of spring so the warmer temps help fermentation? As opposed to starting late august/september and the coming colder temperatures. Unless you keep the heating on

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Aye. Eaten all mine, and given away. Got about 30lbs last year. I've already beaten last year with 2 supers almost full

I saw a christmas mead recipe on here but cant find it now - anyone recommend a good one? I'm going to try tonyblokes recipe to begin with as it seems to come recommended.

Do people use one packet of yeast per demijohn? I went for Lalvin Champagne & Cider Yeast EC-1118 Sachet 5g it says 4.5 to 23 litres on lalvin stains website so not sure whether to do each batch with a packet or do a few demijohn's at a time as i've got a 25litre bucket from wilko....

If you get your packet into an active form and feed and nurish it to get a good health starter going before you pitch you can use one packet for multiple demijohns. A couple of years ago I got 1 packet of yeast to kick off and pitched into 70 l of cider split in 3 containers and all fermented out beautifully.

If you get your packet into an active form and feed and nurish it to get a good health starter going before you pitch you can use one packet for multiple demijohns. A couple of years ago I got 1 packet of yeast to kick off and pitched into 70 l of cider split in 3 containers and all fermented out beautifully.

I've never done it before so wanted to make sure I do it correct. tonybloke's recipe didnt use yeast nutrients I do see marmite mentioned now and again though....

Sorted started my first homebrew either quite impressed tweaked tony blokes recipe to add 1tsp marmite to must. Did 1 lemon in one, 2 limes in other and 1 large orange, 25 rasions 1 clove and will add 1 tsp allspice when I get it from shop

1baqmos

Last edited:
Still bubbling away nicely about 1 a second in the airlocks. When do I top up the water?

I've no idea if it needs topping up, but somebody else might.

I'm watching your progress with interest as I'm planning to make some mead using cappings as in post #8, but wonder if it's easier to measure the water used for washing the cappings and then measure it again afterwards to find out how much honey there is in the solution - or is a hydrometer more accurate?

How accurate do you have to be?

I just used 4lbs of osr honey. Just extracted 5 supers today tempted to put another two on when I get some more yeast its deciding which recipe to use is the hardest part!

Hi Guys

Great tips on here.

Am planning my first mead making this year, but can't think where you would buy winemaking equipment?!? (preferably not on the internet as they are big, fragile heavy things!)

Thoughts?
Cheers
Pete

Hi Guys

Great tips on here.

Am planning my first mead making this year, but can't think where you would buy winemaking equipment?!? (preferably not on the internet as they are big, fragile heavy things!)

Thoughts?
Cheers
Pete

anyone use PET demijohns, or are they best avoided?

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Brew-Wine-Making-Temperature/dp/B003DV7PG0/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1376930676&sr=1-1&keywords=demijohn"]Home Brew & Wine Making - 5 Litre (1 Gallon) PET Plastic Demijohn With Handy Airlock & LCD Temperature Indicator - Pack Of 2: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame]

Back