Maybe a big sigh of relief...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitzTaz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Picked up our first ever nuc on Monday, the weather as all will know was bad for a change. Transfered them to our hive and put some 1 to 1 feed on. Today well this morning we checked on the feed and its still the same, had a quick butchers through the frames, 3 of them have eggs, stores, and sealed brood on them, 1 was empty and the last one was full of sealed stores. All the other frames are still on foundation and un-drawn out.

So we took the feeder off as it seemed that the queen may well run out of room to lay. This afternoon, the sun came out ( for those who may have forgotten it's the big yellow thing in the sky, south-southwest :D ). We're now seeing lots of activity and bees returning with pollen. BIG SIGH OF RELIEF.

We was now wondering if what we have done up to now is correct or are we missing something that may need doing:)

Last edited:
sounds fine ,as you already know that you should only feed when needed.Just keep an eye on the stores if the weather turns any worst than it already is,and best of luck and have fun,its a fantastic pastime.If you are on open mesh floor you can put the drop board in until theyve expanded a bit more,its easier for them to keep the temp up in the bb

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice protheroe, we will do that later on when the bees have stopped for the day.

The general rule as explained to me by a MASTER BEEKEEPER is that to stimulate bees to multiply and forage one should feed with light syrup, as that is closest to what they feed on for energy to fly. Thick syrup needs watering down to become digestible and that is wasted effort.

The general rule as explained to me by a MASTER BEEKEEPER is that to stimulate bees to multiply and forage one should feed with light syrup, as that is closest to what they feed on for energy to fly. Thick syrup needs watering down to become digestible and that is wasted effort.

Eh? The OP said she was feeding 1:1 and no-one has suggested otherwise on this thread.

I hope the OP didn't get stung (pun intended) for too much money for a small nuc. Five frames is the norm and the box should be full of bees, brood and a frame of stores.

Small feeds of 1:1 will help them draw out the box...and using a dummy board and giving them a couple of frames to work on at a time. I leave the spare frames in the box beyond the dummy board(s) when the weather's good.....but you might want to put in a block of Kingspan or similar in our chill summer weather.

Latest posts

Back