Mating flights

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Is it usually visibly noticeable when a queen goes on a mating flight? Does a swarm go with her or does she just go alone? How many times is she likely to go over what time frame?

Is it usually visibly noticeable when a queen goes on a mating flight? Does a swarm go with her or does she just go alone? How many times is she likely to go over what time frame?
I go and have a look on the sixth day after emergence....providing I've done my sums correctly, I will sometimes see her. They will mate at 14 degrees, which is quite cool. I've only once seen one return with the mating signs and managed to get the camera out and film it🥸
The Apiarist has a good article about mating flights.

Is it usually visibly noticeable when a queen goes on a mating flight?
sometimes but not always. You occasionally get a few bees going with her to run interference, and if you are lucky you may witness a mating swarm - the best way I can describe that is, the bees are eager to get the queen out on her mating flight (sometimes they literally have to push her out of the hive), they get over excited and a good bunch of them end up leaving the hive with her, if you are lucky enought to witness it (I have a few times), it looks like a swarm leaving the hive and the apiary is thick with flying bees, but then, as if they suddenly realise they've got carried away, they mill around for a while before sheepishly queueing up to get back in the hive, sometimes they may hang around in a nearby bush before returning to the hive.

Have look here...how excited the bees got. Lots of them were not only hanging out on the front of the hive but also in a tree next to it. You can see the queen return

View attachment MATING SWARM .mov

Have look here...how excited the bees got. Lots of them were not only hanging out on the front of the hive but also in a tree next to it. You can see the queen return

View attachment 40428
Cracking Video ... I've seen this happen but never had my phone or camera to hand !

Couple of new queen questions:
  1. Will a queen continue to go on mating flights after she starts laying?
  2. Does she grow quite a bit after mating? I appreciate the ovarioles will grow to accomodate egg production...just wondering if there was an approximate growth as a percentage compared to the virgin queen
Thanks

Latest posts

Back