Mated queen arriving today - introducing in cold weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loolabelle1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
We hopefully have a mated queen arriving today but the weather has turned quite cold. How long can we keep her in her travelling cage before we have to introduce her. It was meant to be warm if not sunny but the weather is not living up to the forecast and doesn't look too good for the next few days. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. We will make sure we give her water. Thanks

One possible option to consider without opening up is to put her into a Butler cage in the usual fashion but instead of putting her between the top of two frame, tie a piece of light string to the cage and push it and her through the middle of the entrance towards the back but not all the way.

Wrap a piece of tape around the other end to give her a refuge should they take too much interest in her to start with. Put paper under the tape as it'll be sticky for her feet.

The string will let you retrieve the cage.

Might be best to give a very light smoking through the entrance first and very lightly on the cage/queen.

As I said it's one 'possible' option. No guarantee of success but IMO should work.

Come off it - its not that cold! Just go ahead and get on with it as per normal. Presumably you have already de-queened the colony she is going into?

Meg

Loolabelle1,

Of course, you are right the sooner you put her into her new home, the better, but the options which you have will depend on whether your Q arrives in her cage together with any attendants to feed her, or not. I would expect a Q in the post to have these for sure, but if a fellow beekeeper is just "dropping a Q round" to you, then she may be on her own in the cage. Then you have to get her in as soon as you can.

If she has two or three live attendants and some fondant, you could store her carefully in dark, warm place outside the hive for a couple of days, as long as there's a drop of water (as you have already suggested) and high vigilance against bee-noxious substance in the vicinity of where you rest her. Last year, a Q survived being "lost in the post" on its way to me for over a week and has done well this year.

Good luck !

Last edited:
Just been though this for the first time, so I understand the nerves!

When ours (3 of them) arrived after a day in the post they appeared somewhat under the weather, but putting the plastic cage on a damp piece of kitchen towel perked them up no end.

2 went into previously prepared queenless nucs, one went into a swarmed hive that had had the remaining queen cells rubbed out.

The nucs took to them instantly, the hive a bit longer. Once we were happy that the bees had accepted them, we bent the plastic tab back and let them at the fondant.

1 week later, we have three colonies will several frames of eggs and young brood, so all is well. Don't think temperature is a problem at the moment, certainly in Berkshire! Just put the cage in the target hive/nuc as instructed.

The biggest problem at the moment is wasps - perversely, introducing her when it is about to rain might be a better idea, as it will keep the wasps at bay. Feed if stores are low and they cannot forage - a sudden burst of brood raising will take quite a bit of energy. Don't over feed, as they will store the lot and run out of space to lay.

Come off it - its not that cold! Just go ahead and get on with it as per normal. Presumably you have already de-queened the colony she is going into?

Meg

:iagree: Very unlikely to do any harm opening in this weather. Get her in there (minus attendants, with fondant covered until you're happy they're not going to attack her).

I introduced three new queens in the last 6 weeks (was Carnies, now anything but).. and two were in around 16C and rainy.

All took with no problems.. released from cage by the bees within 2 days...Took between 1-2 weeks to start laying...

Thanks all. It is all very useful information. It was quite cold here this morning but sun is shining now so hopefully will stay warm for the rest of the day. One hive is queenless so we are making up a small nucleus which we will then combine with the first hive via the newspaper method in a few weeks time, once she is laying. I haven't seen her yet but apparently she has arrived with six attendants and instructions are to introduce her in the evening, so will do that tonight. We know she goes in on her own.

Latest posts

Back