Marking Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoth

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have always been put off marking my Queens as I was told the bees can sometimes object to this and throw the Queen out. Is this an old wives tale, in my advancing years and consequent failing eyesight I have great trouble in seeing her. Although I usually go on the assumption that if I can see evidence that she is there than that will do. All the same it would be nice to see her if only to avoid squashing her.

My first year last year and i marked 11 queens didnt get any rejected. But did damage 1 that i had 2 kill in the end and replace so all i can say it worked 4 me and it certainly helped 2 see the queen most times

One of mine I did last year, i think i hurt he leg (Press-in Cage) She was superseded 2 months latter and i still have an unmarked queen :cool:

Marked almost all of my queens last year with no rejection problems, did almost damage one queen in doing so but on next inspection she was laying well!

I say almost as I stopped marking later in the season as if I damaged a queen then they would have no time to get a new one before winter.

I now leave my new queens a while to get established before marking. Just so that the Q is up to speed, with her own brood emerging and so fully accepted by the general worker population.

Not found it worth risking damaging the queen, so I don't mark her. With our Carniolians she is usually covered in workers as soon as the frame she is on is lifted from the hive.
bee-smillie

:iagree:did it once and they balled her in a week and superceeded

Marked easily 50 last year and damaged none. I use the tube shaped plunger cage with blue ring and SOFT net (not hard plastic) at the end (sold eg. by Th o r n es). Only problems were in apideas when returning mated Amm-type queens to the Carni-type bees they had been with since pre-hatch, who on several occasions decided to ball the queen. Solved by caging the queen with fondant for a couple of days. With homebred queens no trouble.

I don't mark mine. I have huge clumsy hands and don't trust myself. I also don't see a point in interfering with the queen if it isn't necessary, I.E monitor eggs, brood, capped brood for evidence. Clipping wings has its advantages but I still like to leave her well alone and concentrate on getting better at other forms of swarm control.

After marking, leave her for a few minutes for the smell of the pen to evaporate- then return her into a less crowded frame area. About the only time a little puff of smoke useful.
And yes, those plunger cages are the most gentle. I wont hold one again after a passing bee stung her as I held her gently!!:cuss:

I clip and mark and have not yet had a problem. If you can pick up it's much easier than messing about with crown of thorne cages in my view. The POCSA pens (I think that's right) don't seem to be a problem as far as smell goes.

I do have one queen called Blue Antenna - you can guess why. She was static on the frame and I thought I could just blob some paint on her. She should have been picked up how I usually do it or held on the comb and marked. I had expected her to be superceded but she is going through her second winter.

Like iand, I leave for 3 weeks or more before marking; once she has settled down and is not crashing around the place as young'uns do.

Back