Maqs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldb7340

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have used MAQS for the first time, not only does this seem to have a good effect so far and decent drop....

It also made my eyebrows almost fall off after inadvertently inhaling hard when opening the packet.:rules::hairpull::hairpull:

I have used MAQS for the first time, not only does this seem to have a good effect so far and decent drop....

It also made my eyebrows almost fall off after inadvertently inhaling hard when opening the packet.:rules::hairpull::hairpull:

Newbie question but what is MAQS??

Am I correct in saying that the company behind the treatment changed the dosage instructions as it was so strong?

But don't do what I did and take it out of the paper type stuff that it comes in!!!! That stays on,
E

and don't be panicked when you see all the dead bees in the first few days....you have to persevere for the full time of treatment.

Seeing dead bees me dead mites, a few bees to trade off for an effective treatment I can deal with... Hoping queenie survives it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i see dead mites and no dead bees but hey we all do our own thing.

be careful with it . it can kill queens

I think there are a few caveats with MAQS.

But it is a splendid option for *in-season* treatment.

Don't use it at "Apiguard Time", after removing the crop.
If it should give a problem, its harder to fix so late in the year, and upsets the winter prep.
That is also the time when wasps & robbing can be a problem, and MAQS wants ventilation - fully open entrances are mentioned in the instructions.
Instead, use it earlier (when situations are more easily fixable) and extend your season - you can leave the supers on for about a month longer! This has to be of particular interest to those with a late crop from the Heather.

I'm not fully convinced that the instructions are right for the UK. They are aimed at wooden Langstroth boxes with solid floors and holes in the coverboard.
A single brood (small) poly (warm) national with a no-hole coverboard and OMF (very different ventilation) is a rather different situation.
One strip may be enough, especially for warm polys.
The coverboard hole might just be very important on this occasion (its something I think is inappropriate for most of the year), to encourage a bit of through ventilation. With an OMF, I think its more important than the instructions note about fully-opening the entrance.

If there is a problem with too-strong vapour, its most likely to be in the first day or two. I'm not convinced that the vapour concentration is steady over time (but it may not be meant to be). Hence getting enough ventilation is most important right at the start of treatment.

DON'T sniff around to 'see if it is working' ... :rules:

I reluctantly treated my 4 hives with MAQS today,not happy about this as the bees HATE it and it really disrupts the colony but 2 of the 4 were badly infested and the other two were quite high too.I used the recommended 2 strips on my two big hives (~8 frames brood) but only one strip on my 2 smaller hives (~4 frames of brood) Hope all goes well:ohthedrama:

I found they only hated it for a day or two and then they didn't bother! In fact when I took it off a week later they were crawling all over the stuff!
E

I found they only hated it for a day or two and then they didn't bother! In fact when I took it off a week later they were crawling all over the stuff!
E

The main efficient dose is only over the first three days, after that it tails off rapidly.

Prefer tried and trusted Apiguard myself. But not this time of the year anyway. Varroa is best dealt with in the autumn and then again around Xmas or NY. Read the the FERA pamphlet on "Managing Varroa" available online - or as a hard copy from your local BKA if they get a speaker with clout in for a chat or possibly from your Seasonal Bee Inspector.

If you have a high level of varroa, DON'T think you can postpone treatment until the Autumn.
You've gotta do something about it.

Some of the advantages of MAQS is that it doesn't taint honey so can be used when supers are on (as now) and it works through cappings in brood cells so can be used now.

Back