Maqs - bad news

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi. Not really a question but a heads up. I removed the supers and treated my one colony with maqs. It’s killed off all the brood and the queen! Perhaps the hot weather has t helped. I’m getting a new mated queen asap.

Wondered what experience others have had with maqs?

Sorry to hear that. I've not used it as I was told its potent stuff. Do you still have workers? If so, will you buy in a queen asap.

I believe that MAQs is formic acid based. Perhaps that is the difference in the hot weather. I did use it once a few yars back but did not like it so stuck with Apiguard then Apivar as there were reports that Apiguard treatment was leading to resistance in varroa. Any comments?

there were reports that Apiguard treatment was leading to resistance in varroa. Any comments?
never seen much evidence of Apiguard resistance reported - it's usually a case of people not applying it properly

Hi. Not really a question but a heads up. I removed the supers and treated my one colony with maqs. It’s killed off all the brood and the queen! Perhaps the hot weather has t helped. I’m getting a new mated queen asap.

I have bought Maqs and subsequently disposed of it, considering it just too harsh. I’ve not seen any adverse effects from following a vaping regime and consider it more inconvenient for me but better for the bees.
I hope they accept your queen and it builds up sufficiently for Winter - there is time enough.

There are lots of occasions noted where MAQS treatment has resulted in queen death ... it's a powerful product and I suspect, as you surmise, that it was a bit too warm and they were inadvertently overdosed ...

That's awful.
IIRC they changed the formulation and instructions? Original product advice was safe/beneficial to use with supers in place and therefore more space.

Exactly that.
I used MAQS the year it became available being keen to try something new. It killed queens.
I threw it away and have never used it again.

One problem with MAQS is that the instructions are based on you having a full American Langstroth Hive.
A national is smaller and if your colony is smaller you end up overdosing them.
I use half the dosage and leave it on for two weeks.
Make sure your entrance is fully open, and if you have no supers on the hive it's worth adding one to give the bees space.
The fumes are pretty potent so wear a mask and eye protection.
I note that the company has a new product on the market called formic Pro looks very similar.
I'm guessing this must be an improved version designed to be less harmful to the bees.
Use by dates are 2 years unlike MAQS which is 12 months.
Still formic acid.
More expensive maybe?

I used MAQS with no issues. But as Steve1958 says above: the instructions are written for Langstroths. I adjusted doses for nucs and any National hives I have: no problems.

One problem with MAQS is that the instructions are based on you having a full American Langstroth Hive
the dose was actually based on Dadants, they couldn't change the instructions as they would have to relicence so spread the word that for Nationals people should use half the dose.

When I first started keeping bees, I read plenty of stories of queens being killed off by MAQS. The idea of losing my one and only (expensive) queen was so terrifying I decided there was no way I was risking it so I opted for OA vaping as my varroa treatment method.
However, this spring I found one colony with quite a visible varroa infestation. The supers were already on, and as the vaping I'd done during the autumn, and early December clearly hadn't been effective enough in this case I decided to try MAQS for the first time. I found it really quick, only taking 7 days to treat, and the fact I could use it with the supers on, was a big plus for me. Although the biggest plus was the affect on the varroa numbers!!

Of course I didn't use it without some reservations. All of my hives are double broods, so the strips go between the two deep boxes. I'm not sure I would have used two strips to treat a single brood box. The hives also had a couple of supers of space, the entrance was completely open, and the weather forecast advised me there weren't going to be any excessively high temperatures during the week. In the two hives I treated there was a sizeable exodus on the first day (can't say I blame them, it was pretty potent!), but by the next day the bees were taking it in their stride.

I was so impressed I've got a couple more packs to treat a couple of hives, probably this week. I'll still be OA vaping in December, and who knows what I'll choose to use next year, but I won't be ruling out MAQS in future.

I’ve held off putting MAQS on, weather too hot in my opinion but all colonies will be treated with it. Wasps can be probmatical as entrances will be fully open but they seem to have peaked and now tailing off. I always have a super on for additional space, good product plus quick in my opinion.

After shovelling out two colonies that had been pickled to death I can confirm Maqs had 100 percent efficacy.
The survivor of the three colonies treated had cbpv the next year.
So maybe not.

Never ever again-I will plod on with OA vaping
The hare and the tortoise fable is a good one.

I think it's a quality control issue at the factory.
Things often get delegated to people who don't know it's purpose.

I have used Maqs for years on Nationals without any problems.

Lots of space, supers, ekes on, ventilation OM floor etc. etc. follow instructions on pack.

Make sure weather will be within temp. range. Apply first in evening when temps. will be lower (does this mean slower release?).

Some people must be using it successfully, suppliers are still selling it.

Exactly that.
I used MAQS the year it became available being keen to try something new. It killed queens.
I threw it away and have never used it again.
similar

I applied to about 8 and 3 in 3 of them the queens died...for one of these i saw the queen on the landing board the day after i applied

i wondered if i should have caught the q, applied the strips and then put the q back at the very edge in case she was in v close proximity to the strips when they went on

not sure if it would have helped but now i stick to apiguard and a winter trickle

I was thinking about using MAQS as I want something I can use and leave the supers on.
My research however leads me to believe it's a kill or cure solution.
I won't be using it at all.
Apiguard and Thymol crystals in the post.

I have used Maqs for years on Nationals without any problems.

Lots of space, supers, ekes on, ventilation OM floor etc. etc. follow instructions on pack.

Make sure weather will be within temp. range. Apply first in evening when temps. will be lower (does this mean slower release?).

Some people must be using it successfully, suppliers are still selling it.
How much do you use. What it says in the pack or half ?

Latest posts

Back