MAQS and a slight slip up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok, I know I really should read the instructions properly first, when you put MAQS strips on you DO NOT REMOVE THE PAPER ROUND THE STRIP. I know that now, but unfortunately, with sweat running down into my eyes, trying to open the pack with scissors whilst wearing gloves, choking on the fumes, I missed that bit which was written at the bottom!
Oh well, I will let you know if removing the paper has any ill effects!
Actually the bees didn't seem to mind it going on although one hive out of four has a bit of bearding at the moment.
I see the latest advice is to close the mesh floor with the varroa board but open the entrance fully. Having removed the paper I think I will just see what happens with a bit more ventilation through the floor too!
Another problem that isn't easily explained is that one of my hives has a zinc excluder. You are meant to put it under the excluder, with a bottom bee space that was impossible so it is now on top of the excluder in that hive!
Whoops! :ohthedrama:

It's interesting that you found the fumes so bad. I've treated 5 hives, and barely noticed the fumes. I even wondered whether I had removed all the packaging correctly (I had, but not the paper inner!). I wonder whether the batches vary much.

My bees were subdued for a couple of days, but then sprang back into action. Inspected 10 days after treatment started and found loads of eggs, so queens appear ok, although 2 hives had a single supercedure cell, a day or two away from sealing.

2 out of 5 (40%) could be statistically significant. There again, on such a small sample it may not be.

Is the formic acid likely to damage mesh floors?

There is a noticeable fume smell that attacks the nose and eyes if you get down wind of it, but in fairness that was probably because I took the paper wrapper off.
It's just like the spray used in police spray canisters.
E

That bit of "paper" is supposedly a highly technical and expensive cellulose semi permeable membrane.
It took NOD(the makers of MAQS) years to develop.

Last edited:
The paper acts as a slower release wick so will be interesting to see what happens.

Oh well! Too late to do anything now as is pitch black outside and I guess tomorrow will be too late! I thought I had it all in my head when I went to put them in..... God I feel guilty! I have one hive I didn't treat so all is not quite lost but I have a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach! Stupid or what!

It's just like the spray used in police spray canisters.
E

I have to be quite honest with you on this one Enrico, I am rather concerned as to how you KNOW what the spray used in police spray canisters is like????

Anyway, regarding the MAQS strip experience... I am looking forward to hearing how my Mentor has got on with them, before I try.

Oh, hang on??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:judge:

I see the latest advice is to close the mesh floor with the varroa board but open the entrance fully. ..:

Who is giving that advice?
Am I correct in thinking you are on single-brood national?

The fumes can tarnish any metalwork in the hive. I suspect my rigid wire QXs may not look as pretty as before ... and Enrico's unwrapped strip may well leave its mark on his galvanised excluder.

Incidentally, the "paper" wrapper that you are instructed not to remove is quite easily accidentally torn ... I can confirm.

Update on my c*ck up

All is not lost, I still have flying bees! This was the casualty rate after one night out of my strongest hive. This is on one bb and three supers.
Plucks at the old heart strings, I do hope HM is not in the graveyard! Ironically the wasps were not going into the hive but were clearing the dead bees away which makes me think they are still feeding young!

What happened!

Well, considering I messed up with the application I have been lucky. Removed MAQS today, my biggest hive were throwing dead bees out for three days, my original queen is in there with fresh eggs, my this years swarm hive also has the same queen and eggs, my double brood which had MAQS inbetween the brood box's had the same queen and plenty of brood and eggs, but they had moved all the honey above the MAQS strips and all the brood was in the bottom box, my last hive which swarmed less than a month ago but had a laying queen has a tiny patch of eggs and a whacking great supercedure cell in the centre of one frame, the last three hives appeared to have very few casualties compared with the big hive. Interestingly they were all really really quiet when I went through them, even the feisty hive, which I didn't really expect. The MAQS had had no effect on the QE on the hive where I had had to put the strips on top of the QE. It was a thin metal type, the double brood box had the strips stuck to the bottom of the top box which was a bit difficult to get off but all in all I am happy, now to do a mite count!
Hope this helps those who haven't used it yet!
E

What happens if I treat for 14 days rather than the 7 just looking at my timings coming up to treat....

. The MAQS had had no effect on the QE on the hive where I had had to put the strips on top of the QE. It was a thin metal type, the double brood box had the strips stuck to the bottom of the top box which was a bit difficult to get off but all in all I am happy, now to do a mite count!
Hope this helps those who haven't used it yet!
E

We'll be interested to hear what the mite drop was from the treatment ...

The instructions say there is no need to remove the strips ...... Ever, so two weeks no problem!
E

I have to say, if I had to list pros and cons,
Con, a few dead bees
Pro, quick to administer, only on for a week, can keep honey supers on which is a big plus, easy to remove, no god awful smell, as long as you can stand the dead bees it seems that the queen has a few days off laying then starts again before the seven days are up.
I will use it again!

Back