MAQ strips ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will wait a few years before trying it to see how it does and for the price to come down.

I will wait a few years before trying it to see how it does and for the price to come down.

£5.50 per hive treatment isn't terribly expensive.

However, only selling it in packs of 10 hive treatments would be asking for a significant commitment.

The good news is that many retailers and association 'reps' seem to be happy to sell treatments individually. At the Yalding auction, there were two different stalls doing just that.

If there's any problem with any hive materials, it would be corroding metal. But I haven't heard mention of that from the three actual users I have spoken with - and incidentally one was in a poly national.

How did they get on with them? Would they use MAQS again?

£5.50 per hive treatment isn't terribly expensive.

However, only selling it in packs of 10 hive treatments would be asking for a significant commitment.

The good news is that many retailers and association 'reps' seem to be happy to sell treatments individually. At the Yalding auction, there were two different stalls doing just that.

Plenty of other cheaper treatments around that work though

How did they get on with them? Would they use MAQS again?

See post #2, this thread.
One happy to use it as primary treatment. Two happy to use it for firefighting in mid-season - which is my interest.

Went to have a quick look between showers and the bees with the MAQ strips in seemed very subdued compared to the hives without ( could be the weather ? ) but at least there were no dead bodies on the landing boards today
I did have a quick look under the lid of one that seemed VERY quite and all seems fine and looks normal so time will tell

I treated two of my hives with MAQS in May because they had DWV.
Instructions emphasise importance of ventilation so as one of hives had solid floor I moved it onto an OMF before treating.
The reports i read online seemed to point to the bees being vulnerable when the temp get above 20c, so I checked the long range forecast beforehand -Although unlikely we're going to get above 20c any time soon.

Overall, I was happy with the results. Not many bees killed and after the 7 days, I removed the strips. The bees are thriving and healthy again.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to use this treament as part of my IPM.
I see it as more of a sledgehammer to be used when varroa get out of hand during the honey season.

I will use it again if the situation arises - it did the job.

Not many that come to mind that are cheaper and as effective and can be used with honey on the hive though ...

Strip is formic acid.
If you use original liquid, and make your DIY Strips, the price is 50 cents per hive.

Read more from Canadians: flash treatment

Last edited:
Who makes these strips and can they be bought from abroad cheaper? anyone?:thanks:

Who makes these strips and can they be bought from abroad cheaper? anyone?:thanks:

you have 50 hives. It is very easy to make them.

You put toalet paper or something into a minigrip plastic bag. Then a certain amount of acid and close it. When you put it into a hive, you clip it open with knife that acid can gazify. Or you give an acid dosage in situ.

http://www.apinovar.com/articles/flash.en.html

Strip is formic acid.
If you use original liquid, and make your DIY Strips, the price is 50 cents per hive.

Read more from Canadians: flash treatment

The point of MAQS is that it is a much safer (to the beekeeper) means of using Formic Acid.

you have 50 hives. It is very easy to make them.

You put toalet paper or something into a minigrip plastic bag. Then a certain amount of acid and close it. When you put it into a hive, you clip it open with knife that acid can gazify. Or you give an acid dosage in situ.

http://www.apinovar.com/articles/flash.en.html
Thanks Finnman, I've got a huge amount of formic acid, it's very old though about 10 years old, do you think it will still be ok to use?

Thanks Finnman, I've got a huge amount of formic acid, it's very old though about 10 years old, do you think it will still be ok to use?

I think that is same stuff as before.

try with one hive what happens.
If you have a swarm, give a flash dosage and you see the efficacy.

Latest posts

Back