MAQ strips ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenpug

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none at the moment but will be getting langstroth
I put maq strips on 3 of my hives yesterday when I got home at 6pm this evening I went to check on the bees only to find loads of dead bees on the landing boards and the floor in front of the hive,I dont want to panic and take the strips off but is this normal ? and has any one else experienced this problem? there seemed to be a lot of drones amongst the dead bees :calmdown:

The anecdotes I have heard indicate that they do "go off with a bang" and that some dead bees at the start aren't totally unusual.

That said, the reports have been that after the varroa have been disposed of, the colonies "bounce back" very strongly, and the users would be perfectly happy to use the product again.

The anecdotes I have heard indicate that they do "go off with a bang" and that some dead bees at the start aren't totally unusual.

That said, the reports have been that after the varroa have been disposed of, the colonies "bounce back" very strongly, and the users would be perfectly happy to use the product again.

Thanks i was thinking WTF rip them of quick :thanks:
I will let it run the 7 day course :ohthedrama:

As long as the queens have not been balled they should be fine.

As long as the queens have not been balled they should be fine.

I am a bit worried to go into the hives at the moment as i think they have gone through enough in the last 24 hours but there is flyers bringing in pollen just walking over the corpses which i have now cleared off the landing boards so all seems well

Have you got inspection boards in? ....or is that contraindicated with MAQS, sorry don't know
It would be interesting to see what the after Tx drop is. You seem to be the first here to have tried them.

Have you got inspection boards in? ....or is that contraindicated with MAQS, sorry don't know
It would be interesting to see what the after Tx drop is. You seem to be the first here to have tried them.
no two hives are on solid floor and one is open mesh but you cant put the board in because of air flow :hairpull::sorry:

I had a similar experience when I used MAQS strips a month again, but the colony was fine and has thrived since.

Yield period is not right time to give mite treatments.- one hive but not the whole yard.

Yes, there probably is, but mostly discussions in various forums. Can you recommend a source please? :)

Well, I've spoken in person to three people who have each (so far) tried it on one hive, with broadly similar results, as mentioned above.

I presume you have seen Randy Oliver's later post, which (right at the end) includes a retraction and rebuttal of the idea of lots of queen losses.
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/an-early-summer-test-of-mite-away-quick-strips/

I don't personally know anybody who's used MAQS, so can't report current findings.

The Randy Oliver page is better than the one I suggested, is it from summer 2011?

Has anybody tried these strips in poly hives?

The second article refers to his first test being last fall - so was written in summer 2012.

Its no problem with plastic.
If there's any problem with any hive materials, it would be corroding metal. But I haven't heard mention of that from the three actual users I have spoken with - and incidentally one was in a poly national.

Latest posts

Back