Making up two nucleus from a swarmed colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi All

I was planing to make up two new nuc's to re-queen two very aggressive hives later in the summer.

I had two weeks ago put another new brood box with pulled out frames on top of a Queen excluder on top of a calmer colony with the intention of going today and swapping the frames from the bottom box (shake them off) then transfer to the top box so the nurse bees would move up and I wouldn't have to not bother finding the queen , and tomorrow (Sunday) making up the two nucs late morning and later in the afternoon introduce the two new queens in the cages (which arrived this morning) ... BUT they have swarmed and have a virgin Queen ? , lots of bees in both boxes but no eggs yet ?

sorry for rattling on ......would it be possible to still make up the two nucs , and maybe feed until they look strong enough ? they will be getting moved more than 3 miles to my back garden.

What do you think ?

As usual I appreciated your thoughts and wisdom

Grub

Still possible but you may get the virgin which is loose in the colony in the nucs. Wuld have been better to have made up two nucs with a queen cell each, when cells were formed. I woundnt worry bout the virgin just make up your nucs. Honey yield will probablybe nil tho

Hi Snelgrove

she is in the bottom box but may squeeze though the QE ?

Yes, I not expecting any crop from this one but if it helps me sort out the other two all the better ...

Grub

I think that here you need to work on the balance of probabilities or lose your no doubt expensive queen.

Make up your two nucs and intro the queens, cross your fingers and hope for the best and take on board the suggestion of using the cells next season. Cheaper and safer.

PH

I think that here you need to work on the balance of probabilities or lose your no doubt expensive queen.

Make up your two nucs and intro the queens, cross your fingers and hope for the best and take on board the suggestion of using the cells next season. Cheaper and safer.

PH

thanks PH yes I need to get my act together ....

Latest posts

Back