Making bee candy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some sugar boards last year but the bees didn't eat them...they had enough stores. So I have given them this year.
Has anyone used the Mountain feeding method? Putting a sheet of newspaper over the top bars...thick layer of sugar and spray with water to firm it up.

That's pretty-much what I've been doing for the last 2 years - only inside jam-jars. Fill the jars with sugar, add a couple of spoonfuls of water, then give the jars a quick blat in the microwave which spreads the water around as steam. Leave to harden - place 'em over holes in the Crown Board. Simples. Cheaper than fondant, easier and quicker than coffee-grinding. Any left unused in Spring gets made into syrup.

ac9ws2.jpg

2vj1o9h.jpg

Once they're in place I just do a weekly check to see if there's been any interest in them (they'll be ignored if stores are in place) - so they act rather like 'fuel gauges' ...
LJ

Last edited:
Hey Little John....that is similar to mine. I use the plastic cartons you get with a takeaway. They are see through...so you can see if they are taking it. I didn't microwave mine...I might try that. I mixed the sugar with a little bit of water...enough to dampen it ...gave it a good mix...and pressed it into the cartons. Then I left them on the radiator ...so they became solid. Just before feeding them ...I sprayed them with water. I like the jam jar idea too...especially your cut out insulation. I use sheeps wool insulation...which shapes itself around any cartons you put in...on top of the cover board holes.

Hey Little John....that is similar to mine. I use the plastic cartons you get with a takeaway. They are see through...so you can see if they are taking it. I didn't microwave mine...I might try that. I mixed the sugar with a little bit of water...enough to dampen it ...gave it a good mix...and pressed it into the cartons. Then I left them on the radiator ...so they became solid. Just before feeding them ...I sprayed them with water. I like the jam jar idea too...especially your cut out insulation. I use sheeps wool insulation...which shapes itself around any cartons you put in...on top of the cover board holes.

Excellent ! A variation on the same theme ... Great minds etc.

Careful if microwaving those plastic containers - they may melt/distort. I like your idea of using sheep's wool - but first you have to find and catch your sheep ... :)

LJ

Excellent ! A variation on the same theme ... Great minds etc.

Careful if microwaving those plastic containers - they may melt/distort. I like your idea of using sheep's wool - but first you have to find and catch your sheep ... :)

LJ

Loadsa sheep here in Wales...lol. I can cut any size piece off the roll...when not in use they easily go into a plastic bag for storage.
The containers are microwave safe too.
I'm always looking for easier methods too. I liked the candy board on the video...but I would need to get my husband to make them for me.....hence using the cartons.

I liked the look of them and was going to ask Stan to make one. The chap in Redwood's video said he put them on all his hives regardless of whether they had sufficient stores already. I presume from that he has lots of hives and doesn't check them all as minutely as I do.
Then I remembered I almost always have to remove a frame or two of stores in the Spring as the bees in the poly boxes don't eat much. Nevermind, I'll find him something to do....it's raining and he's watching Clarkson on the tele and that just won't do!

Agree, far better things to watch on a Saturday afternoon [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Use it or lose it...put him to work.
I've just made 10 X 1lb cartons of damp sugar...they are sitting on the radiator to dry out. Then I shall put lids on and keep them until needed....saves trying to make fondant...horrible job. Or buying it at inflated prices. Or cutting it up...horrible job...even with a cheese wire. Or scraping it off the top bars in the spring...horrible job. Or finding it dripped down between the frames...horrible job.
Altogether...I didn't find that fondant was that great...and a big faff.

saves trying to make fondant...horrible job. Or buying it at inflated prices.

You can buy it at £5 per 12.5kg, cheaper than sugar, and free delivery.

Or cutting it up...horrible job...even with a cheese wire.

A sharp garden spade does a good job with little mess or exertion.

Or scraping it off the top bars in the spring...horrible job. Or finding it dripped down between the frames...horrible job.

None of this mess at all if you use the ready made stuff and feed it properly.

Last edited:
What methods do you use to feed fondant to your bees Hivemaker if your kind enough to share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What methods do you use to feed fondant to your bees Hivemaker if your kind enough to share.

In the mating nucs it goes into the feed compartments, the mini quad boxes in a 1lb jar over the feed hole... and if needed for full size hives next to the feed hole wrapped in polythene, not cling film.

Not around here...I think you probably have to buy a large amount to get such a good price. Also, our only bakers has closed.

A sharp garden spade does a good job with little mess or exertion.

Hmm....possibly ....for a man.

None of this mess at all if you use the ready made stuff and feed it properly.

Always fed properly but I think sometimes it gets a bit too much moisture from the bees...and then drips. Yep...it's sticky stuff.

But thank you for the info.

Always fed properly but I think sometimes it gets a bit too much moisture from the bees...and then drips. Yep...it's sticky stuff.

If I have to feed a colony with emergency fondant I roll it out thinly and put it on greaseproof. The bees feed round the perimeter, the bits of paper drop to the floor, and usually through it, and none drips between the frames

If I have to feed a colony with emergency fondant I roll it out thinly and put it on greaseproof. The bees feed round the perimeter, the bits of paper drop to the floor, and usually through it, and none drips between the frames

That's a good idea.

Bako has the weirdest business model I've ever encountered - it's as if they don't want the business.

Your regional price - as above.

From callbakolondon.com £15.40 for 12.5kg (and big order required to get free delivery)

I've even tried ordering from the SW Region for delivery to Lincolnshire - but they won't play ball.
So - sod 'em, I'll use damp-set granulated sugar instead, ex-Lidl.
LJ

No charge if Shepcote deliver it themselves to the post codes listed on the days specified. They have a series of delivery rounds eg they deliver to addresses with PE code (Boston) where Little John says he comes from on Mondays. Durham (DH) for Millet is on Thursdays

The £8 deliver charge only applies if another carrier involved.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back