making a commercial NUC from a national brood box query

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it possible to use 3 frames of eggs, brood and place them centrally in a commercial size 6 frame nuc?

Slowly move the national frames to the outer edges of the nuc and use commercial frames in the centre. Take away the outer frames, (eventually).

I know not to split the colony with foundation but I can not think of a better way.

Any suggestions welcome

you could put a comercial broodbox ontop of the national broodbox and the queen should start using the comercial over the national then take your nuc from the comercial brood box. Swap boxes back and wait for her magesty to move upstairs again. Back to national plus you should have some comercial frames with stores to help your nuc.

same end result diferent way of skinning the cat

Is it possible to use 3 frames of eggs, brood and place them centrally in a commercial size 6 frame nuc?

Slowly move the national frames to the outer edges of the nuc and use commercial frames in the centre. Take away the outer frames, (eventually).

I know not to split the colony with foundation but I can not think of a better way.

Any suggestions welcome

go and read Hooper!!

I keep bees in commercial hives, but i acquired one colony on national frames, just had to convert them as per Ted Hooper.

Ditto, 3 Nucs on National frames straight into Commercials a la Hooper, simples. Used tie wraps to fix adaptors.

I used a baked bean tin !
remove top and bottom from clean tin, then cut into 10mm slices with tin-snips. I actually used a ram-Pin straight through the tin straps to secure the adaptor.

simples*

Back