Maisie's poly nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Just noticed that as from the first of March Maisie Moore are retailing a new 6 frame poly nuc - it's not clear from the photograpghs, but it seems it doesn't have a built in feeder but you can buy a miller type feeder to go on top (as well as a 14x12 eke) - be interesting to see come the conventions

Just noticed that as from the first of March Maisie Moore are retailing a new 6 frame poly nuc - it's not clear from the photograpghs, but it seems it doesn't have a built in feeder but you can buy a miller type feeder to go on top (as well as a 14x12 eke) - be interesting to see come the conventions

Thanks for heads up. Always popping in there when visiting daughter & family, so will have a look
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I went into Maisey just before Christmas, their new Poly Nucs were on display, definitely NO built in feeder, Miller type feeder can be purchased separately.There is also has an eke option to use as a feeder, or to convert to 14x12. Another difference is the lack of a lip between the Nuc body and eke/feeder/lid. When I asked about the price the best I could get was "er......similar to Pains".

They did look very good, very similar to Pains - all the best bits. I was tempted but have decided to wait until the convention where competition will, hopefully, improve the price.

They did look very good, very similar to Pains - all the best bits. I was tempted but have decided to wait until the convention where competition will, hopefully, improve the price.

yerrrs - typical, just bought a few of Pains in the sales!

:banghead:

Mmmmm.

Like the top beespace + 'rails' (not too sure about the ruggedness of those rails though.)

Like the top feeder, but like Park's poly nuc its a Miller type. Now, that maximises the number of bees that can feed, thus the speed of take-down, BUT being shallow it needs the hive to be very accurately level - personally, I think an Ashforth (access at one end rather than the middle) is a better design for a *shallow* feeder - you put the bee-access at the lower end. If a shallow Miller isn't level, filling only the 'upper' half tank is the way to go.

Like that the feeder detailing provides for a cover over the bee-access (none of the silly idea of using the roof for that).

Like the 14x12 eke option.

Entrance looks OK - like the idea of the alighting board (but the implementation isn't exactly pretty) however still for a swarm-gathering box, it will (just like Paynes current offering) benefit from some foam all across under the front to prevent bees 'undershooting' and gathering on the underside of the floor.

Apart from the fact that the roof still looks a bit thin, you might think it had been created by someone that had read the criticisms of Paynes' one and done something about it. I wouldn't believe anyone that said the designer had never even caught sight of the Paynes one! But then, this could be the Paynes 2.0 being licensed out, like they did with the earlier version ... and breaking cover away from 'home'.
The price quoted on Maisemore's website (identical to Paynes basic National nuc) might even support that hypothesis.

Be interesting to see what happens. I'm not actually needing any more nucs right now, but I could be tempted to try this one.

Paynes did say on their facebook page that they were going to be announcing new developments for their poly hives. Could those be them? I actually found the company that Paynes use to make their hives.

Like the top feeder, but like Park's poly nuc its a Miller type. Now, that maximises the number of bees that can feed, thus the speed of take-down, BUT being shallow it needs the hive to be very accurately level - personally, I think an Ashforth (access at one end rather than the middle) is a better design for a *shallow* feeder
You have a point - but I'm sure that even the most cack handed (DIY-wise) could cope with popping a few shims under one end to level it out when feeding.

Haven't you got any magic varroa stones left? - I'm sure they'd do a deal for them

I have a few precious varroa stones left, but like most good beekeepers, those at maisies have already got theirs.

You have a point - but I'm sure that even the most cack handed (DIY-wise) could cope with popping a few shims under one end to level it out when feeding.

Having used a Park nuc (with a similar long shallow Miller - central access - feeder), I'd definitely prefer the Ashforth (end access) type for a *shallow* nuc feeder. Just sayin' ... :)

I note that the Maisemore website has been updated with some different photos ("for illustration purposes only") and more price detail.

£31.50 inc VAT for national nuc & feeder
£39.50 inc VAT for national nuc & 14x12 eke & feeder

Still showing 1st March for availability.

// Why oh why (wail) do vendors illustrate brood boxes with frames having END SPACERS ??? :hairpull:

As far as I can see they're available now.

The ends thing is an anachronism of nationals, ends being slightly wider than most Hoffman frames available, so equipment is designed around the ends and so promotional pictures have to feature them or show a gap.

They showed a photo of a lorry delivering a load of them the other day on their Facebook page, so they are in stock now but they might have to check them over before allowing them to be sold to the public.

Latest posts

Back