Maisemore poly nuc floor question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Bees

Bumblebee
Reaction score
Maisemore sell floors for their poly nuc range. I am considering buying a few. They appear to have a pop-out section above the entrance. My question is, does anyone know what this is for? Does it actually pop out? It doesn't look as if it would make the entrance larger (the brood box would cover it). Does anyone use this functionality, if it is pop-out?

Image attached

Thanks in advance.

Maise.PNG

The pop out does just that - pop it out makes the entrance higher but I think it's purpose is really a 'pop in' the floors are cast in a single mould so to achieve a 10mm high entrance would have meant having it higher up and there being a ledge for the bees to have to lift debris over to get out, so the floors are cast with a deeper entrance to avoid the ledge then the little jigsaw bit is inserted to give the entrance a lintel and makes it easier to block the entrance when moving the bees.
I just leave them in place and paint over, although if you want to paint the surface all the way in to the hive, you can pop out to do so.

Reactions: mbc
The pop out does just that - pop it out makes the entrance higher but I think it's purpose is really a 'pop in' the floors are cast in a single mould so to achieve a 10mm high entrance would have meant having it higher up and there being a ledge for the bees to have to lift debris over to get out, so the floors are cast with a deeper entrance to avoid the ledge then the little jigsaw bit is inserted to give the entrance a lintel and makes it easier to block the entrance when moving the bees.
I just leave them in place and paint over, although if you want to paint the surface all the way in to the hive, you can pop out to do so.

Many thanks! Will order a few and see how they go next year.

It also creates a more defensible tunnel.

I've bought a few with commercial broods which will happily sit on a national nuc as a second brood, the floors and feeders are interchangeable, makes them very versatile.

Back