Magpies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the pellet did fly over my mother in laws property, the jackdaw was in flight over her garden when it was shot and the police were told that. They told me that they had had a case where someone was shooting a shotgun over someone's house, such that falling pellets were hitting the roof and they were not able to do anything.
There should be a law that prevents complete morons getting hold of guns, air rifles or even water pistols. This guy is a complete waste of space and blights the neighbourhood. He is anti social and you get young kids going in and out...buying drugs. Why the police don't kick his door down I don't know.

If he did shoot that bird with a pellet gun while in flight he must be some shot!!!
Anyway it is illegal to discharge a firearm over over ground you do not have the land owner, renter’s permission. In your case it would be difficult to prove. I believe this to be uk law not just English, Scottish etc. Northern Ireland and Scotland now have law in place where you must possess a licence for an airgun regardless of caliber and power, Scotland introduced this law because of the crime connected to them by the types of people you mentioned.

If he did shoot that bird with a pellet gun while in flight he must be some shot!!!
Anyway it is illegal to discharge a firearm over over ground you do not have the land owner, renter’s permission. In your case it would be difficult to prove. I believe this to be uk law not just English, Scottish etc. Northern Ireland and Scotland now have law in place where you must possess a licence for an airgun regardless of caliber and power, Scotland introduced this law because of the crime connected to them by the types of people you mentioned.

Bear. Your comment is falling on deaf ears
Geoffs post was nearly 10 years ago and he hasn’t been on the forum since December 2010.

thanks for the replies :cheers2:

the traps and shooting are not a problem my other half is a serious hunter so we can get rid of them easily enough :smash::smash: :smilielol5:

I'm more curious about the way they were actally attacking the hive and will this upset the girls enough for them to leave home?
The bees are more likely to come out fighting! I must say that I have never heard of seen magpies behave like that to a hive. I wonder if they have had an experience with a damaged hive once, that they managed to get a successful bounty from? They are quick to learn and daft enough to go up against a 'live-hive!'

Bear. Your comment is falling on deaf ears
Geoffs post was nearly 10 years ago and he hasn’t been on the forum since December 2010.

Yeh ... but a good read is worth reading again .. some interesting posts and a couple from the late Dishmop ..a good old friend who was very helpful in my early days on here .. remember his observation hive on the wall inside his living room, the Bentley he drove and the self built camper van .. sorely missed.

I'll just add it is definitely illegal now to shoot jackdaws without applying for a license first.

Yeh ... but a good read is worth reading again .. some interesting posts and a couple from the late Dishmop ..a good old friend who was very helpful in my early days on here .. remember his observation hive on the wall inside his living room, the Bentley he drove and the self built camper van .. sorely missed.

Yes I remember
RIP

:iagree: I miss his emails and fun messages off forum

I'll just add it is definitely illegal now to shoot jackdaws without applying for a license first.

Nope - it's an open general licence - last issued on 1st Marth this year - valid for 12 months no need to apply, just adhere to the conditions

Nope - it's an open general licence - last issued on 1st Marth this year - valid for 12 months no need to apply, just adhere to the conditions

I can't be bothered to search what is and is not currently the rules. It certainly became illegal last year (even if temporarily) due to Chris Packhams legal proceedings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't be bothered to search what is and is not currently the rules. It certainly became illegal last year (even if temporarily) due to Chris Packhams legal proceedings.

No good slinging insults because you got your facts wrong, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
No good slinging insults because you got your facts wrong, eh?

Okay so it's not illegal in Wales: wildjustice.org.uk/general/why-is-nrw-allowing-casual-killing-of-jackdaws/ As the link explains it makes no sense to shoot jackdaws.

Last edited:
The general licenses in England have been reinstated as they were, think this means the government is potentially breaching the law. EDIT, as mentioned above these license will last until July only.

The NRW license may get a judicial review, so potentially changes required for the following years license GL004 only to allow carrion crow.

Ive deleted your last sentence. Play the ball not the player please

@Saluki I am perplexed. You seem to claim the moral high ground, but your behaviour doesn't match those beliefs. You are intolerant of another persons intolerance; that is self-destructive and hypocritical.

Sigh. This is exactly why I haven't posted on here before. This sudden burst of activity is to get my post count over 20 so I can continue reading the 'my neighbour is poisoning my beehive' thread which is currently hidden. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

You are intolerant of another persons intolerance; that is self-destructive and hypocritical.
Surely as a society we are intolerant of other people's intolerance all the time? Should we be tolerant of racists etc? Sticking to animals, cock fighting was once considered acceptable, how many would tolerate it now? What is considered normal changes over time. It is why the law continually changes, and the law did change on shooting jackdaws etc (until it got a 5 month reprieve whilst we were all distracted by covid19 - thanks for the posters pointing this out). In 100 years I'm sure shooting pheasants will be illegal and considered by the majority as cruel.

I don't like certain posters on here, but surely that is normal too? We can't all agree on everything or like each other. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

If you had an oil boiler that uses a chimney flue, and that chimney was continually blocked by a pair of jackdaws, then I can see as a last resort (assuming you have tried everything to move them on) there is a legitimate reason to shoot the pair of jackdaws. In my opinion what is unreasonable is then to shoot every jackdaw that subsequently comes into your garden. I don't see what is wrong with labelling that sort of action as moronic? I'll point out for the third time now, that was not a word introduced by me into this thread. Moronic means very foolish or stupid, comparable with idiot.

You are deliberately trying to cause trouble here and in another thread.

I'll grant you I deliberately played with words in this thread for my own amusement and a bit of tit-for-tat (yes an action that probably belongs in the playground), but on the other thread not at all. I did not seek a response from jenkinsbrynmair, but this is what I got to my 3rd ever post on the forum:

I know that Cornwall seems to 'special' in more than one way

I read that to mean:

special
adj. Euphemism for having a disability, esp. a behavioural or mental disability; low-functioning mental retardation in particular. Synonyms: different, feeble-minded, retarded.

So he is effectively labelling everybody in Cornwall as retarded. And yet this post stands as does the one apparently laughing at another of my replies.

If it is unacceptable on this forum to label someone a moron for shooting jackdaws, then why is it acceptable to label the residents of Cornwall retarded?

Sigh. This is exactly why I haven't posted on here before. This sudden burst of activity is to get my post count over 20 so I can continue reading the 'my neighbour is poisoning my beehive' thread which is currently hidden. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

I'll grant you I deliberately played with words in this thread for my own amusement and a bit of tit-for-tat (yes an action that probably belongs in the playground), but on the other thread not at all. I did not seek a response from jenkinsbrynmair, but this is what I got to my 3rd ever post on the forum:

I read that to mean:

So he is effectively labelling everybody in Cornwall as retarded. And yet this post stands as does the one apparently laughing at another of my replies.

If it is unacceptable on this forum to label someone a moron for shooting jackdaws, then why is it acceptable to label the residents of Cornwall retarded?
Well good luck with the first
And as for the second some members here have a long running game with each other and two of the combatants happen to be from Cornwall and from Wales so I suspect the comment wasn’t really aimed at you...... or was it?

Latest posts

Back