made some Tawny owl boxes recently

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropbox or try clicking the video icon?
Ours is occupied too and we get occasional hooting from it during the day. They are lovely to watch. They branch very early before they fly properly so you can watch the youngsters bouncing about in the trees.
We have barn owls back in the other owl box

Dropbox or try clicking the video icon?
Ours is occupied too and we get occasional hooting from it during the day. They are lovely to watch. They branch very early before they fly properly so you can watch the youngsters bouncing about in the trees.
We have barn owls back in the other owl box
it says it doesnt like the avi format

My tawny box hasn't been occupied for 4 years. Before that we'd had tawnys every year for 20 years (#edit, not true, we've had gaps of 3 years before). Don't know what went wrong. Maybe found a better offer.

Heard some calling recently. Normally they are looking for nests earlier than this.

You may have some ringers locally that might be interested in ringing the chicks when things progress.

Good luck . . .. Ben

Last edited:
Care to share the design plans ?
I had problems with the classic tawny box design, narrow with an entrance at the top. With a sitting female a pair of jackdaws started filling the box with twigs. She couldn't defend against this. She struggled up through the twigs but wouldn't have been able to get back on them.

New box is more square with a tunnel entrance about 6 inches above the base. Also wider so more comfortable for the bird. Still have problems with jackdaws. Might have helped.

Bad photo and yes, that's a stock dove. They usually have a go in the box once the owls have finished.

OwlBox.jpg

My tawny box hasn't been occupied for 4 years. Before that we'd had tawnys every year for 20 years. Don't know what went wrong. Maybe found a better offer.

Heard some calling recently. Normally they are looking for nests earlier than this.

You may have some ringers locally that might be interested in ringing the chicks when things progress.

Good luck . . .. Ben
thanks Ben

yes, we are quite well blessed at the moment....we have two pairs of barn owls and a few tawny pairs around too....also got a few little owls but havent got cameras up on those boxes atm, may move them around

thanks Ben

yes, we are quite well blessed at the moment....we have two pairs of barn owls and a few tawny pairs around too....also got a few little owls but havent got cameras up on those boxes atm, may move them around
Envious. Only tawnys prepared to come to me in the middle of the village. Barn owls look weird but I'd love some grumpy looking little owls about.

This from 2016.

OwlBox2016.jpg

We have turfed grey squirrels out a couple of seasons. Just keep throwing the nesting material out daily and they give up.
The numbers got so bad a few years back we trapped and killed six in a week.
but as you probably well know...most owls dont take their own nesting material in so you need some woodchip or something to start off and a squirrel or jackdaw can 'pave the way' for an owl with its nesting material

Latest posts

Back