M*dern's queen trap swarm prevention widget

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpround

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
What does everyone think of M*dern's queen trap swarm prevention widget? (Under Langstroth hive components.) The idea seems almost comically simple - the swam is headed by the old queen leaving, so put the entrance above the queen excluder; the old queen can't leave so no swarm. Of course it also prevents any new queen from going on mating flights and so cannot be left that way for too long. Even with that caveat there are times when I would find such a swarm prevention widget a godsend, if it works. Comments?

David

i have tried using my own version (3 sided wooden shallow eke) when away for a few weeks - only problem was bottom entrance block was too loose fitting and bees pushed it open when they swarmed. not a problem with tight fitting MB entrance reducers (although have had one of those cut a slight bit short which allowed bees to squeeze out when travelling - problem not noticed when closing bees up for night).

The key to the MB system is that it is only used for 4 weeks if no QCs or 3 weeks if QCs. therefore any winning new queen has opportunity to mate.

We bought two to try but looks like next year will be the time. Glad to say!

Interested to hear if anybody has used them though, they look to be an asset and perhaps could be used in other ways too.

"perhaps could be used in other ways too."

with a suitable thin board to insert temporarily one could use the system like a cloake board. that was my first thought at the NHS when i had a chance to look at one and why i bought one in first instance to try (next year now).

So:

1. queen/swarm trap
2. cloake board
3. for setting up and running 2 queen system
4. ......

anyone else like to suggest uses?

"perhaps could be used in other ways too."

with a suitable thin board to insert temporarily one could use the system like a cloake board. that was my first thought at the NHS when i had a chance to look at one and why i bought one in first instance to try (next year now).

So:

1. queen/swarm trap
2. cloake board
3. for setting up and running 2 queen system
4. ......

anyone else like to suggest uses?

Two queen system sounds interesting. I've not looked at the traps yet to see how they work but can I ask how you would arrange the hive for a two queen system Drstitson?

Top to bottom of hive:

supers - mediums as required
trap
brood with Q2
trap
brood with Q1
floor

or some other arrangement?
:cheers2:

My concern is that the principle of this simple device depends on the QE doing its job. In recent years I have had laying queens shimmy up through excluders (1 plastic, 1 metal) to lay in the super, and I see other posters here have had the same experience.
Could this be even more likely with a queen who is slimmed down in readyness for a swarming flight?

"can I ask how you would arrange the hive for a two queen system Drstitson?

Top to bottom of hive:

supers - mediums as required
trap
brood with Q2
trap
brood with Q1
floor

or some other arrangement?"

just one trap - between top BB and supers you just need normal QE. oh and not forgetting the need for a suitable sized sheet of mesh to keep the 2 colonies separate but in communication initially.

BTW if you let me have your email address i can send a pdf of 2QS to you.

Last edited:
You can buy Ron Brown's booklet "A Simple Two-Queen System".

Latest posts

Back