Low in stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had a larger than average Spring crop this year, but we only took some of the honey from the best hives with 3+ supers and left it all on the others. The Summer has been a washout, blackberry now going over but the wildflower meadows have abundant flowers full of nectar, so a reduced flow is continuing for a while longer.
My local black bees have half-filled their brood boxes with honey already although there is plenty of room in the supers.
The Buckfasts still have brood boxes full of BIAS and but are using some of the honey from the supers despite the flow.
Some of the nucs require feeding. Waiting to see if the heather will be any good this year, most years it is too dry here for a good flow.

I also have colonies eating back the stores in the supers. Also some of my queens (mostly dark ones) took a brood break earlier this month and yesterday when I inspected saw eggs so they have just started up laying again. Don't normally see such brood breaks until middle /late August ( I look out for them in august as usually indicates a good time to treat for Varroa).

Just added more supers to my hives, can hardly keep up........ woopeeeeeeee

Just added more supers to my hives, can hardly keep up........ woopeeeeeeee

Strange he a few milesl makes such a difference, Enrico. Supers are just not filling here and have remained static for two weeks despite available forage. The bees have been quiet through the poorer weather.

Looks like most of the hives are just maintaining some feeding off supers, have a poor summer crop nothing but grey skys and rain . Been feeding nucs bramble gone and willow herb on way out too

In a few hives of mine today and there’s 1 hive with 2 supers on. Both drawn comb and both were filling about the same, has been for months now until today! Today the top super most certainly has honey removed, about half but the bottom super is nearly full.

We have a couple of site that give a good spring crop and not so good summer, these are not producing much this year. Thankfully our other sites have a good flow on at present and should last a few more weeks.
S

Im in West London with an apiary at Syon Park and a bridge over the river to Kew Gardens. So steady, beautifully varied forage. Have had massive yield year but much quieter now as bramble stopped. Hoping the river clean up mob will stay focussed on other things and not tear down the HB which is prevalent along the Thames' banks through late summer.

May try to feed the weaker hives this week and see how they take it down as def seeing bees hunting any food they can at the mo.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Im in West London with an apiary at Syon Park and a bridge over the river to Kew Gardens. So steady, beautifully varied forage. Have had massive yield year but much quieter now as bramble stopped. Hoping the river clean up mob will stay focussed on other things and not tear down the HB which is prevalent along the Thames' banks through late summer.

May try to feed the weaker hives this week and see how they take it down as def seeing bees hunting any food they can at the mo.

What a fabulous spot and so near to Kew Gardens! Up the road in Ealing there’s no so much around at the minute. Am feeding one hive from a swarm in May which I probably stopped feeding a little too early after moving them into a brood box. They were living hand to mouth but are fine now. Just checked and all 3 hives are brining in at least 3 types of pollen at the minute - cream, pale orange and dark orange. I suspect the cream one is from a large patch of Russian Vine a couple of hundred metres away. I’m about 2km from the Thames and 3km from the Brent so bit of a distance for HB but within reach.

I have never seen a bramble crop like this year. Big blackberries and still loads of flowers coming. The hedges are pink with flowers.
E

Strange he a few milesl makes such a difference, Enrico. Supers are just not filling here and have remained static for two weeks despite available forage. The bees have been quiet through the poorer weather.
It's not just a few miles, and I am racking my brains trying to work out WHAT it is: genetics? solid floors? Commercial box v 2-brood Nationals? dumb luck?

With summer crop in I have averaged 30kg per "production" colony all year, which is pitiful (I am in a great location for blackberry and lime but they washed out basically). Meanwhile an apiary of 3 colonies I have helped with up the road averaged probably about 25kg per colony BUT ALL FROM THE ONE COMMERCIAL: the 2 Nationals died out / swarmed and refused to reQ etc. etc.: all the usual excuses. But this wretched colony just put on weight steadily. Amazing and if I could have cracked the secret I would have had a great year.

Looks certain to down at least a 1/3rd on last year's harvest.
It's certainly the worst main flow period I've seen.
Must have been beneficial to the heather though so here's hoping.

Looks certain to down at least a 1/3rd on last year's harvest.
It's certainly the worst main flow period I've seen.
Must have been beneficial to the heather though so here's hoping.

My estimate is the same.

I thought it was just me, but my bees are not making much in the way of summer honey.

I take a spring honey crop, in case of osr, and that was ok. Am wondering whether to take what summer crop there is, now, then to treat for varroa then feed as though autumn? Any stores they make thereafter can be put below the brood box for winter. Or should l hold fire for a month or so?

@Monbees - it just depends on your local forage. Up here for example they are still gathering blackberry and meadowsweet amongst others.

@Monbees - it just depends on your local forage. Up here for example they are still gathering blackberry and meadowsweet amongst others.

There's still blackberry flowers to open here to and on the weekend the girls were on them, same for the clover, hb, thistle and rosebay.
I've notices yesterday that my borage, thyme, and origarno in the garden is now being forage on for the first time it's been flowering for a couple.

My Apiary at catherton needs clearer boards put on so I'm not sure as yet what my summer crop will be like from there. there's 14 production colonys over there at a permanent site.

Lots of forage here but most of the time it's raining..Some nights 7-8C..

Lots of forage here but most of the time it's raining..Some nights 7-8C..
The weather had been poor this summer.. Just not consistent enough
Ow well if I get one super per production colony I'll be happy.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back