Losing the will

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives and 4 nucs
I am seriously thinking about giving up. I'm in my third season and I really don't feel I am any good at this. 2 swarms today even though I've been trying to keep on top of inspections and now my collection has gone up to 6 colonies. Getting fed up with being stung... and I want to be able to go in the garden without feeling obliged to pay attention to what the girls are up to.

I've got as far as drafting an advert and have been persuaded to sleep on it for a week or two by Mrs Slangers.

Has anyone else felt like this? Does it pass? Help!!!!

I am seriously thinking about giving up. I'm in my third season and I really don't feel I am any good at this. 2 swarms today even though I've been trying to keep on top of inspections and now my collection has gone up to 6 colonies. Getting fed up with being stung... and I want to be able to go in the garden without feeling obliged to pay attention to what the girls are up to.

I've got as far as drafting an advert and have been persuaded to sleep on it for a week or two by Mrs Slangers.

Has anyone else felt like this? Does it pass? Help!!!!

Yes I've had moments like that too.

Slim down to just a couple of colonies - sell or give away your surplus colonies, or try and combine them.

It's much less stressful when you can take your time :)

Well, I am in my eighth season, and still could say I am not very good at this. All I know is I am better than I was, and this is a craft which one can never finish learning.
I have learned that the bees will do what the bees will do, despite my trying to steer them in the direction I want. We all have times when things go awry. On inspection today it looks like one of my colonies has swarmed, despite all my efforts to prevent this, and one hive has turned quite nasty. The Spring harvest so far is absolutely abysmal, and the rape will soon be over, but it has been so cold and so dry.
I agree with the suggestion to cut down on your number of colonies. Also do you have a mentor to lean on?
Hope it works out for you, whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Yes take a deep breath and reduce your colonies. Keep two of your best new queens. It will get better.

Yes I sometimes wonder why. Its when I'm having the honey on my toast that I know things are not all bad. Also meeting up and hearing from fellow beekeepers is quite entertaining.

I don't know any other beekeepers and don't have a mentor, so I really struggle through on my own. Right now I am feeling quite low and confused about what's happening.

Mind you- your point about the honey is spot on...

Why not join the local association they are normally a friendly lot full of helpfull advice.

It's a shame about the meetings not being close. It really does help to have beekeeping cronies. I reckon Mrs. Slangers is right though. I've nearly given up in the past, feeling that I loved bees but that I really didn't love myself as a beekeeper! I made myself remember other things I'd nearly given up - feeling similarly hopeless with them - but which I'm now very glad I kept up.
I'll bet you don't realise just how much you have learned already.

I notice that you asked for a mentor 2 years ago, how did that go? If you joined an association, you could ask them for a mentor, there may be one near you. Or you could just contact them without joining and ask for a mentor. I have had people contact me asking for advice when I was on the swarm collectors list. Unfortunately I had to give up the swarm collecting due to family commitments.

There are a number of different things going on, and maybe you just need to separate them out in your thoughts.

I'm in my third season and I really don't feel I am any good at this.

Yes, but are you better than you were twelve months ago, or your first year ? It's a safe bet you are. Does that comfort you, is the question.

2 swarms today even though I've been trying to keep on top of inspections and now my collection has gone up to 6 colonies.

Can you retrace your steps, and analyse what you did, why you did it, and maybe what you will do differently next time... ? Being able to reason the thing out is competence of itself. A lot of factors outside your control anyway - the little buggers aren't reading the books, for one thing.

Getting fed up with being stung...

You're going to get stung.

I know the feeling, though. In my second season, and I did an AS a week ago, and the flying bees tried to head off seventy-two hours later. Luckily I was at home, and that my mentor (hint) answered the mobile.

I can't tell you how many times I went over the AS in my mind over the winter. And still...

Felt crap for two days, but mentor came over and it was all sorted out in minutes.

Delighted with life and beekeeping again !

You need a mentor, if you decide to keep it on.

Best wishes to you, and kudos to your better half. It's great that you have her support.

There are a number of different things going on, and maybe you just need to separate them out in your thoughts.

Yes, but are you better than you were twelve months ago, or your first year ? It's a safe bet you are. Does that comfort you, is the question.

Can you retrace your steps, and analyse what you did, why you did it, and maybe what you will do differently next time... ? Being able to reason the thing out is competence of itself. A lot of factors outside your control anyway - the little buggers aren't reading the books, for one thing.

You're going to get stung.

I know the feeling, though. In my second season, and I did an AS a week ago, and the flying bees tried to head off seventy-two hours later. Luckily I was at home, and that my mentor (hint) answered the mobile.

I can't tell you how many times I went over the AS in my mind over the winter. And still...

Felt crap for two days, but mentor came over and it was all sorted out in minutes.

Delighted with life and beekeeping again !

You need a mentor, if you decide to keep it on.

Best wishes to you, and kudos to your better half. It's great that you have her support.

Spot on.

Same boat here really - we as a family love keeping them, don't think I'm doing too badly, but just struggling with time and other things to let me enjoy them on the way I'd like. Going to try reducing to the largest pair of colonies (currently have 5 in garden!!) and see how it goes for a bit.

Similarly local association seem to meet on Saturday which is no good for me at all, so I only really know one other keeper.

Take a deep breath "Calm Blue Ocean".

First off stinging. If they are having you far too much and in the garden requeen with a gentle strain. Without knowing the situation seem a bit swarmy.

Its easy to let the numbers get away from you, get a couple of snelgrove boards and stick the boxes on top, decide which queen later in season and merge back.

If it doesn't work and they become a chore you don't look forward to, then I would consider giving up.

Beekeeping will always have challenges, there are so many variables and even when you do everything right it sometimes goes wrong ... and actually it's the variety and constant learning that I enjoy in beekeeping. The odd occasion when it all goes to plan is a bonus.

But .. my view (not jiust in beekeeping terms but life in general) is that if you are not enjoying it then there are only two options:

1. Analyse why you are not enjoying about it and change what you are doing so that you can enjoy it. As all those positive suggestions above encourage you to take advice, reduce colony numbers, find beekeeping buddies etc, this may help. But ....

2. My other philosophy is that if you still can't or don't enjoy it .. Give up - do something else, there are a thousand other hobbies that don't cause as much stress, don't require the constant attention, don't cost a fortune, don't get you stung ... and which can be equally rewarding.

Alternatively, if it's all about the honey then pass your colonies on to someone who may have more time, more experience, more space and do a deal where you get involved as and when you are needed for a share of the honey and the costs ...

Another swarm just heading out- that's it for me. I'm really not enjoying it anymore... Neighbours running for cover, garden out of bounds for the 4th weekend running; sting on my neck has come up like a goitre.

Last edited:
No point doing a hobby if you don't enjoy it.

I've only been at this a year and I've already contemplated giving it up, the stings are coming too regularly. However the joy and satisfaction I get from tending the bees is just about nudging my 'keep em' nose ahead.
If the whole thing starts to make me feel stressed I'll be taking up a different hobby. Life's too short

Beagle....Get the best suit you can afford, wear secondary clothes underneath and get plastic gloves with gauntlets, use wellies and thick socks. If you CANT get stung your confidence will go up in leaps and bounds. As you get more confident you can start to discard bits of your clothing. Honestly, that is the way to go.....
E

Latest posts

Back