Loosening heather honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have seen mention of loosening heather honey so that it will spin out of the foundation. Can somebody tell me what this involves please?

I have seen mention of loosening heather honey so that it will spin out of the foundation. Can somebody tell me what this involves please?

Jiggling nylon needles in the cells of honey.
You get full frame looseners which jiggle each side simultaneously and cost several thousand pounds a pop or hand held looseners which do about half a dozen rows of cells at a time one side at a time for about a ton. Both need to be spun out in a tangential extractor for best efficiency.

hand held looseners which do about half a dozen rows of cells at a time one side at a time for about a ton.
And which, at the end of a shift your arm feels like it belongs to a public schoolboy after a night under the sheets with matron's new grattan catalogue - or a Tory with the new edition of pig keeper's monthly :D

Last edited:
Blimey, I'll tell the girls to steer clear of it.

Or do what many do, cut comb. Then crush and strain the rest. Hydropress is the best but a fruit press is cheaper.

I saw a revere engineered "Mountain Grey" heather press at Abelo's a few weeks ago, better than any fruit press. They were the bees knees as far as heather honey pressing was concerned.

Last edited:
Around here, many used to see heather as a nuisance - more work and people would not (still won't) pay a premium for it.
During the war, my grandfather had the perfect answer - take off the blossom honey for sale and home use, pick up his 'bee ration' sugar allowance and telegram his contact in Hereford whilst he was down in the village, he'd keep the sugar for home use and for bottling the pears his contact sent down by rail which he sold to neighbours and friends (went nice as a dessert for the home grown pork he also sold :D) the bees just kept the heather honey for stores and 'spring feeding'

Latest posts

Back