Looking for Western Red Cedar timber.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi everyone on the Beekeeping Forum.
I am looking for Western Red Cedar timber for a National hive. I live in Hampshire UK. If any one can point me in the right direction I would be so grateful.

Hi Wink
Try this website
http://www.cilfiegansawmill.com/
I e-mailed Lyn with the sizes and quantities I required. She sent me back a quotation. For £300 +vat I have made two trips and have enough timber for 16 WBC four lift outer hives including stands and roofs. It is 100 miles each way for me but worth the journey.
The timber is cut to my sizes (rough sawn). It needs to dry for a few weeks and I then use the planer and table saw. I f you require any further advice please PM me.

Hi Wink
Try this website
http://www.cilfiegansawmill.com/
I e-mailed Lyn with the sizes and quantities I required. She sent me back a quotation. For £300 +vat I have made two trips and have enough timber for 16 WBC four lift outer hives including stands and roofs. It is 100 miles each way for me but worth the journey.
The timber is cut to my sizes (rough sawn). It needs to dry for a few weeks and I then use the planer and table saw. I f you require any further advice please PM me.

:iagree: They are very accommadating, reasonable priced and on my doorstep.

I sent them both a email today for 200ft 7" x 3/4" and 200 ft 1" x 2" I will Massage what the price they quote me.
The Varroa Mesh cost me £3.49 each for 8 from The Mesh Company(good price I think)
Thanks for your mails.

Hi Wink
I think your question is for me. I finger joint all my WBC lifts. I mark the sides with the angle required and then use the band saw to cut every 20mm. I chisel out the teeth, WRC it is quite easy to cut with a 20mm chisel and a heavy rubber mallet.
When I glue the sides together the width of the saw cut permits enough movement to get the tight angled joint. I use foaming wood glue from wood finishes direct and screw every tooth with a stainless steel screw. When the excess of the fingers is removed and sanded I am treating with linseed oil in which I have soaked alkanet root to give a red colour to the wood. This was recommended by another forum member

Nice job Brian< I got to make one now.

Hi Wink
I make them slightly different to the traditional WBC. I integrate the stand and landing board but have no floor. I have a rim around the inside of the stand level with the top of the legs. On this I place a normal size OMF. The inner sizes of the stand are about 50cm.
The Lifts I resize to fit the stand and then I place ordinary National Hives and 14X12 brood boxes inside.
I use the outers for extra winter insulation in my out apiaries. I can even place a Paynes poly Nuc inside to over-winter. In the summer I can remove the outer lifts and manipulate the hives as normal.

Back