Location and Rates

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6127

House Bee
Reaction score
Hello,

Have been reading through the forum for the past few days, and I have to say, its full of loads of brilliant info.

I'm new to bee's. Has been a plan of mine for the last 4 or 5 years, but life was never right, but now we are looking to start our first hive. I've been doing lots of reading, will be joining the local association soon, and going on a training course.

Anyway, back on topic, we have 2 fields approx 5 miles that we rent for our horses (I'm not getting drawn into that argument - Our horses are fine with bees). I've spoken to both the farmers, and both have agreed a small area of scrub land (unused field siding) which would be ideal for the placement of a hive or 2.

One farmer is more than happy for as many hives as possible to be put there, in return for some honey, and a little bit of anything else we can get from the hive.

The other farmers, wants £80 a year, and some free honey.

Now I have explained to both that honey is not guaranteed, but if I can I will. Both happy with this. Have also explained that I may not get hives up til April May next year (very much doubt will get them in this year, but you never know......).

So, I was wondering, what do other people pay, or have to give away when you can't keep the hives on your own land?

Thank You, and I'm sure there will be lots more questions (if I can't find it in search :)).

Blunt answer here.

If they want money look elsewhere.

I always say a pack of honey per colony is the rent. When I extracted it was a pound jar and now I do comb honey that is what they get.

PH

£80 a bit steep tell him no chance, grassland is around £120 per acre, he is rippen the d***.

Busy Bee

Here's one thread to get you started:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10075

And welcome :)

Thank you for that. I don't know how I missed that one when searching.

£80 a bit steep tell him no chance, grassland is around £120 per acre, he is rippen the d***.

Busy Bee

I thought the £80 was steep, considering how much land I would be using, and how much is currently being paid for the horses, who have 2.3 acres there. I will go back and renegotiate with him. He is a bit of a cantankerous old git, but I hope I can win him around, as I like the idea of having the 2 locations, just in case I need to move anything or want to expand.

Thanks everyone for the very speedy replies.

Never offer cash.. bad route to take. Honey is the best way, and costs the canny beekeeper not a lot....;)

PH

now I do comb honey that is what they get.

PH

Sorry for the Hijack :willy_nilly:

Thats my intended rout next year, do you use wired fondation for the first flow (April ish) for OSR and then change to thin non wired for the main flow?

Look For Free Sites AS EVERY one of mine was for free.

1lb Honey per hive or a fiver, is the going rate around here, most go for the honey

About the same out here in the sticks too. £80 is way OTT. He's trying his luck.

I don't have out apiaries any more, but it was not unusual to to barter skills or labour for in return for a corner for hives. I have helped farmers with everything from correspondence to piglet castration. Most educational.

£80!he's takin the p**s,I have often heard it said that a jar of honey per hive is the going rate.

Latest posts

Back