Local honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiveabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was asked a question last night under the topic of local honey and its benefit's to certain ailments. The question that the very interested lady asked was what can She call local honey with regard to the mileage from where she lives. I said I think its based on a 20 mile radius. Was I correct?

How long is a piece of string? It's often quoted as a radius of 6 miles but forage diversity must enter the equation . Tight limits such as 6 miles neglects the fact that the hay fever sufferer isn't a prisoner within said limits ? In this day and age people often commute to work an hour in each direction!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How long is a piece of string? It's often quoted as a radius of 6 miles but forage diversity must enter the equation . Tight limits such as 6 miles neglects the fact that the hay fever sufferer isn't a prisoner within said limits ? In this day and age people often commute to work an hour in each direction!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good point. I'd suggest honey from the area the person covers regularly. Closest to home as being best, ofc.

:iagree:
Good point. I'd suggest honey from the area the person covers regularly. Closest to home as being best, ofc.

Yeah that's basically what I told Her. But you know what its like when people find out you keep bee's. The questions are endless

Yep almost every jar of honey I sell at the garden gate becomes a question and answer session :facts:

VM

I was asked a question last night under the topic of local honey and its benefit's to certain ailments.

The only presumed health benefit from local honey that I'm aware of is relief of pollen allergy due to the fact that the honey is said to contain pollen from locally occurring flowers. There is a lot to be said against that belief, but that is not relevant here -- the lady wants to know the distance, and that's that.

I think the answer is that since this treatment relates to what kind of flowers bloom locally, the distance would depend on the radius in which the same kind of localised climate and plant life occurs.

If the lady does not buy that argument, and really wants to know a distance, then, for truly local honey, it may be best to get honey from a radius of less than 800 meters, but in any case no more than 3 kilometers.

Yep almost every jar of honey I sell at the garden gate becomes a question and answer session :facts:

VM

I like the look on folks faces when they ask how many bee's are in a beehive, When you tell them that in peak season there can upward of 50,000, there faces are a picture:paparazzi:

Latest posts

Back