Little bit late for a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kighill

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Forever more.
Whilst being visited today by a beekeeping friend he brought my attention to a swarm flying over my Apiary. I had not heard them as I was using power tools at the time.
The bees came from the front of my property, they hovered en masse for a while before melting into the distance.
I had hoped they were heading for one of my bait hives but it was not to be. It just shows it can be worth leaving a bait hive out, you never know your luck.

I took down my bait hive yesterday and the were gazillions of earwig families in it. I felt quite mean turfing them out.

The feral colony in my attic swarmed (third time this summer) about 3 days ago. They are still in the laurel bush this evening so I've put the bait hive out - again! Fingers crossed.

Can you not just catch them?

I wish I could! The bit of land at the back of our house slopes away and the swarm is on a branch above a roughly 20 foot drop with bushes/brambles below. I've had offers of help but it would be too difficult. Still there this morning. Still hoping...

I wish I could! The bit of land at the back of our house slopes away and the swarm is on a branch above a roughly 20 foot drop with bushes/brambles below. I've had offers of help but it would be too difficult. Still there this morning. Still hoping...

Would a long handled fisherman's landing net with fine mesh liner reach? The brambles would break your fall;)

Back