Life at Frisby

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been so long........so much has happened.......where to begin?

Well I'm pleased to report I have 3 happy and fullish hives, 2 have supers on but nothing is in them yet. I have also aquired 2 trainees, which is amusing. They are keen and have done some work today going through the hives. The weather is pleasant although often overcast and the wind this week has been very strong, but never the less the amount of bees in my hives seem to have doubled since last weekend.

I'm slightly envious (and disheartened) by beeks on the forum who are reporting 2 and even 3 supers on and filling rapidly. But I am more confident this year in knowing what I am doing and going about it all the right way - I'll rephrase that I have a vague idea what I am doing...........:)

A fox has been visiting my chickens and treating the place like MacDonalds. I don't mind foxes - we all have to live. If I leave a chicken out or don't shut them up properly then it's my fault, but when they start to visit in the daytime action has to be taken. I set Kirk on the task - a very pleasant young man with a gun. I also borrowed a fox trap from one of my farmers. Amazingly I caught one on Friday!

The chickens are laying well and I've had a clutch of eggs hatch - all 10 of them. I'm just waiting now for my turkey hen to go broody, she has a new young man so hopefully her eggs will be fertile this year, previously I have had to buy them in. Her young man is one of last years bought in eggs.

There was a kerfuffle today with the chickens protesting about something...........I went to investigate and found a ferret rumbling about under my huts :confused: I have no idea where it has come from, so I picked it up and locked it in one of my broody huts. It's a sweet little thing but boy does it smell, I fed it on dog food and have hopefully found it a new home.

Latest posts

Back