Lids for honey jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone suggest somewhere to buy the just lids without the jars? To fit the round 1LB jars.
thanks

Freeman & Harding. You get a discount with your BBKA membership.

Don't put lids in the dishwasher, wrecks the seals.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I put them in a pan of boiling water.. how do you sterilise them?
I dishwasher the jars and boil the lids in a jam pan. Then dry everything in the oven. It's all quite effotless. I know some people that don't bother but occasionally jars get chipped when they're in transit from the suppliers. Dishwasher gets rid of any potential glass contamination. Boiling lids is best as it removes any trace of manufacturing smell/contamination.

Don't put lids in the dishwasher, wrecks the seals.

Are you sure such a universal statement is true? Surely that dependsp! on the setting you use in dishwasher - lids were fine in mine.
Also seems odd that boiling is OK but dishwasher damages them.

Are you sure such a universal statement is true? Surely that dependsp! on the setting you use in dishwasher - lids were fine in mine.
Also seems odd that boiling is OK but dishwasher damages them.
It's common for seals on lids to degrade with use. I will reuse glass jars but I never reuse lids if the honey is going to anyone other than friends and famly.

I don't put the lids in the dishwasher as they get thrown about by the jets of water. I have also found that the rubber seals can blister in the dishwasher - I can't remember if this was with new or old lids though.

Agreed. Jars for jam need sterilising. For honey they don't.
If you are desperate to sterilise, then Milton sterilising fluid which is used for babies bottles, is OK.
True, but I would always suggest washing old and new jars to remove any contamination.

C Wynne Jones for me as well, I usually collect my order when in the area and get more lids than jars as I reuse the jars but not the lids.

Jars and lids go in the dishwasher before jarring up the honey without any problems, I re use jar but not the lids as the rubber seal can sometime get damaged when the lids are repeatably taken off and put back on when eating the honey and this can then cause the lids to rust.
So for the sake of a few pennies I always use new lids

I've always found the seals stop sealing after a cycle in the dishwasher.

Latest posts

Back