Lidl Jam maker

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks all, couple of questions

what would be the process for melting wax in it?
what temperature do people leave it on to warm a bucket of honey overnight?
Re wax, from what I know about the Kochstar instructions, I'd fill up to half the volume with water & set the thermostat to 85-90C. Then add up to c10kg wax, leave for about an hour. Stir the mixture to break up any larger pieces of wax. All the wax should be melted within c 2 hours. You might want to use a digital thermometer during the process to keep an eye on the temperature of the wax. Wax melts at 64C and for good wax you really don't want it to go much over 75, less for 'show' wax, or it may discolour. Once the wax is melted leave to settle without stirring for about an hour. You can then leave til completely cold & you'll have a sold disk of wax on top with sediment beneath in the water. Any left on the wax will be on the underside of the disk and you can scrape it off.
Edit: Or, you could carefully ladle off the wax and pour into oven trays lined with baking paper, if you want some wax more quickly. You may risk disturbing the sediment though so I'd recommend the first method instead.

Then as a separate process you'll need to remelt the wax in chunks in a bain marie and filter through j cloths / lint to remove any further small debris so suitable for candle making or other uses that need really clean wax.

Can also use to clean up dirtier wax over water eg recycled comb, but I prefer to do this using a steamer / wallpaper stripper arrangement over a brood box.

Don't know about it's use for warming honey. Good luck, it's a great price.

Last edited:
Bought one today - worked very well heating up water as a test, and it's a great price. Many thanks for the heads up 👍

Thanks Dani......presume its just a honey bucket you put in and set at 40 and no water in the chamber?
No. You put bucket with lid shut tight on trivet and fill the jam maker with water turning the whole thing into a water bath.

Ooooops. Swarm has it.

ok, thanks all....sorry for the dense question but wanted to check

so i guess its the same with honey jars although i dont like the idea of submerging filled honey jars in water

so i guess its the same with honey jars although i dont like the idea of submerging filled honey jars in water [/QUOTE said:
Don’t submerge leave the top inch exposed. Warm water can loosen lids

ok, thanks all....sorry for the dense question but wanted to check

so i guess its the same with honey jars although i dont like the idea of submerging filled honey jars in water
Filled honey jars do fine provided the lids are on tightly and you don’t submerge them.

great....i saw earlier that you could get 16 in and wondered if this was stacking as the instructions describe for preserving etc but having just tested, you can fit 16/17 as single layer, so perfect

and tight lids was next (daft) question so thanks Dani...i'd always loosened when using oven at 40 degrees but again, cant loosen when surrounded by water vapour

Re wax, from what I know about the Kochstar instructions, I'd fill up to half the volume with water & set the thermostat to 85-90C. Then add up to c10kg wax, leave for about an hour. Stir the mixture to break up any larger pieces of wax. All the wax should be melted within c 2 hours. You might want to use a digital thermometer during the process to keep an eye on the temperature of the wax. Wax melts at 64C and for good wax you really don't want it to go much over 75, less for 'show' wax, or it may discolour. Once the wax is melted leave to settle without stirring for about an hour. You can then leave til completely cold & you'll have a sold disk of wax on top with sediment beneath in the water. Any left on the wax will be on the underside of the disk and you can scrape it off.
Edit: Or, you could carefully ladle off the wax and pour into oven trays lined with baking paper, if you want some wax more quickly. You may risk disturbing the sediment though so I'd recommend the first method instead.

Then as a separate process you'll need to remelt the wax in chunks in a bain marie and filter through j cloths / lint to remove any further small debris so suitable for candle making or other uses that need really clean wax.

Can also use to clean up dirtier wax over water eg recycled comb, but I prefer to do this using a steamer / wallpaper stripper arrangement over a brood box.

Don't know about it's use for warming honey. Good luck, it's a great price.
[
filter through j cloths / lint to remove any further small debris so suitable for candle making or other uses that need really clean wax.
]
I use nappy liners and once used scrunch them warm before solid as they make good fire lighters..

I was folloing the thread when i noticed Aldi do a jam maker too, £45.. Think its an online only purchase. However having just looked at the two websites they look different. What do you think?

It has made me start thinking. I do have a honey warmer (Old Fridge and a bulb) but do have a water bath for cooking sous vide, which would do a number of jars at once.

It has made me start thinking. I do have a honey warmer (Old Fridge and a bulb) but do have a water bath for cooking sous vide, which would do a number of jars at once.
I never label my jars until sale for this very reason.

not labelling jars is a very important tip from my experience as a relative newbee

3 years ago they were all labelled up and then frosted and it made things difficult...dont label until....

They were sold out last time but got one this time......hooray! Thanks for the tip!

Manage to get one today at Waterlooville Hants

Will have a play later

Now where to keep it...

Latest posts

Back