Lidil's Jam maker

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhill20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
44ish
Hi Guys,
Has anybody used one of lidil's jam maker as a honey warmer/cabinet.Seem a good buy at £39.99 if it will do the job.
Mick

I'd never thought of using it in such a way. You mean put some water in and then partially submerge a honey bucket? Seals would have to be good, but anyone able to shoot this down in flames?
I have one and have used it for clearing batches of honey and works very well indeed.

I have one - bought a year or two ago (for sous vide cooking, with a home-made external temperature controller).
Mine is basically an enamelled tea urn, with the heating element outside (not immersed in) the chamber and a basic mechanical (but adjustable) thermostat.
Its fine.

When first used, there was a nasty burning smell as something burned off the element -- the instructions did warn about this and pointed out that it was nothing to worry about.

But people in the UK don't generally make jam like that!

The temperature control went fairly quickly on mine.

are they available again?

Hi Guys,
Has anybody used one of lidil's jam maker as a honey warmer/cabinet.Seem a good buy at £39.99 if it will do the job.
Mick

I have one for just that purpose. Works very well indeed.
Cazza

i use one be careful i havnt found the thermostat to accurate.

good for making 25 litre jerry cans of syrup at a time.

also use mine for warming honey

Jam makers back in lidils again got a second one. Even cheaper now at £29.99 and with digital control as well.

post a link to their ad please

Jam makers back in lidils again got a second one. Even cheaper now at £29.99 and with digital control as well.

Worth a note that the "digital control" makes it a bit more difficult to control the thing with a speciality external temperature controller.
As indicated earlier in this old thread, I have a PID with platinum resistance probe that controls my totally unmodified (and in warranty) old-style Lidl unit - it simply switches the whole unit on (for a few whole cycles of mains electricity) and off.
I use the Lidl mechanical thermostat (set higher than my target temperature) simply as a safety cut-out.
With the 'digital control' version, I would have to do some internal work to bypass their 'digital controls' ... probably still worthwhile though!

Latest posts

Back