Lemons at li*ls

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lois

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 colonies now! and some spare parts.
Lid*ls have got some really nice un-waxed lemons at the moment, so I bought some and made wonderful lemon curd.

Its unusual to find lemons unwaxed (they're waxed to make them last longer) and its difficult to get the wax off for using the rind.

do you need the recipe?

Has anyone got any other lemon recipes?

try thinking of lemons, is your mouth watering?

Thanks for the Lidl link :hurray:

This is the recipe I use and it works well

4 lemons
4 eggs
4 egg yolks
200g butter
300g caster sugar

1. Zest and juice the lemons.
2 Beat eggs, yolks and sugar together in a saucepan until sugar has dissolved (note this recipe doesn't use a double boiler and it works fine).
3. Add butter, lemon juice and zest and heat gently until thickened, stirring all the time - if the mixture curdles, plunge the pan immediately into a sink full of icy cold water and beat like mad. It should come back without any problems.
4. Place the curd into sterilized jars, seal and leave to cool. Keep refrigerated.

I use our own eggs and the curd is wonderful.

Our show had a honey flavoured version category, end product was quite tasty if sadly unsuccessful at show:

Honey Lemon Curd
Grated rind and juice of 4 medium ripe, juicy lemons
4 eggs
4oz butter cut in small pieces
11oz sugar
2oz honey

Prep time 20 Minutes, cooking time 25 minutes
Makes about 1 ½ lb

1. Place all the ingredients in the top of a deep heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water
2. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and continue heating gently without boiling for about 20 minutes or until the curd is thick enough to coat the back of a wooded spoon.
3. Pour into sterilised jars and seal with jam pot covers

Back