Leaf blower for bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I need to extract some supers soon. I've always used clearer boards, recently with the addition of a blower from a paint sprayer to remove the stragglers.
Now also wondering about a benzaldehyde fume board, but I have a Stihl leaf-blower that might be effective - anyone got experience of similar?

Yeah don't, a nightmare of a mess and not nice for the bees. I use clearer boards (Rhombus) then an 18v Makita for the few hanging about. Have zero issues totally clearing boxes using Rhombus boards and these are DN4 frames so lots of bees, fast effective and gone before the bees notice.

Like all these things, try the blower and enjoy the experience.

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 17.34.22.pngScreenshot 2024-07-18 at 17.37.26.png

Last edited:
I have seen a leaf blower used, and it doesn't seem the kindest method of clearing bees.

It might take longer, but brushing frames one by one and placing a cleared frame in a spare super or in large bag or box, seems to be a far gentler way to harvest the honey.

I have seen a leaf blower used, and it doesn't seem the kindest method of clearing bees.

It might take longer, but brushing frames one by one and placing a cleared frame in a spare super or in large bag or box, seems to be a far gentler way to harvest the honey.
My bees hate being brushed on the brood frames! Makes me reluctant.

Mine is a commercial "bee brush" - they really don't like it.
I'll try to find a feather!
We have Red Kites dropping them here just now. Goose feathers are good if somebody keeps geese anywhere nearby. Your local FB group might help.

Latest posts

Back